Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bird Names for a Princess' Horses

My main character has recently acquired two horses. Since her brothers spend most of their time as swans, she is going to name the horses after kinds of birds. I have a list of bird names I like but their names don't have to be chosen from it. Since the horses are always together I want their names to go well together.

Genre of Story: Young Adult fantasy

Time Period/Location: a fantasy world loosely based on 3rd century Egypt and Persia

Brief Plot: Thirteen-year-old Zenovie is searching for a way to break the curse that has turned her six brothers into swans - and give up her place as heir to the kingdom in doing so.

Character 1:

Character Description: A black mare with black mane and tail and no markings. When she was still in her herd, she was the lead mare. She is the horse Zenovie rides.

Who named the character: The main character, Princess Zenovie. She previously had a chestnut mare named Dusk.

Already Considered (if relevant): Nightingale, Crow, Dove

Character 2:

Character Description: A dark brown stallion with flaxen mane and tail and white stockings. He is the black mare's mate.

Who named the character: The main character, Princess Zenovie. She previously had a chestnut mare named Dusk.

Already Considered (if relevant): Swift, Kingfisher

My favorite pair so far is Dove & Swift but I'm not sure I want such a soft name for the mare.
    Mama to Isolde (Feb 2012) & Poet (Aug 2013)
    Crushes:
    Absalom Aslan Aura Beau Chrysanthemum Cocoa Coraline Crow Dandelion Dodger Dragonsong Echo El-ahrairah Fable Hawkeye Hedwig Ivan Kingsmark Ksenia Madrigal Mercury Oz Penna Poem Raspberry Sapphire Snow Sweetbriar Tundra Wit

names and stories and such

Black horse:

Arrow
    Phoenix
    Isis
    Story
    Spirit
    Arian
    Destry (means war horse)
    Epona
    Rois (means horse)

Brown Horse:

Falcon
    Ryker (means fast)
    Eton (means fast)
    Ra
    Arian
    Colt
    Stodd (means horse)

What about Pegasus? That might be a good name for the male horse. Otherwise here are my suggestions:

Mare:
    Kestrel
    Raven
    Lark

Stallion:
    Pegasus
    Peregrine
    Kestrel
    Hawk
    Name lover & Engaged to a wonderful man

Lilith - Vesper - Francesca - Lark - Viola - Naomi - Eloise - Layla - Amy - Phoebe - Freya
    Zachary - Alexander - Tristan - George - Axel - Dominic - Loki - Malachi- Rowan - Harvey - Griffin

Bunny names:
    M: Banjo, Chewbacca
    F: Kairi, Pika
    Uni: Bantha, Domino, Tadpole

My blog: http://thereviewinators.wordpress.com/

@maddyelizabeth I like a lot of those names but most of them aren't birds.

@sweekune Kestrel and Hawk are both good. Do you think they work well together?

Right now the pairs I'm considering are: (M/F)
    Swift & Dove
    Hawk & Kestrel
    Hawk & Crow
    Kingfisher & Nightingale
    Mama to Isolde (Feb 2012) & Poet (Aug 2013)
    Crushes:
    Absalom Aslan Aura Beau Chrysanthemum Cocoa Coraline Crow Dandelion Dodger Dragonsong Echo El-ahrairah Fable Hawkeye Hedwig Ivan Kingsmark Ksenia Madrigal Mercury Oz Penna Poem Raspberry Sapphire Snow Sweetbriar Tundra Wit

names and stories and such

I had a look through my bird book and picked out bird names that I think could be used to name your horses.

Stallion

Falcon
    Starling
    Mynas
    Darter
    Shrike
    Ibis
    Nighthawk
    Condor
    Eider

Mare
    Lark