Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Finally settled on names...opinions?

So, I think hubby and I finally settled on names for our surprise baby due in February!
    I'm still paranoid that I'll overlook something and my child will hate their name.
    So, for your viewing pleasure, our boy's name:

Rowan James. (Rowan is a Gaelic name meaning little redhead, which he may be. James is the name of my grandfather, uncle and brother.)

our girl's name:

Lydia Isobel Yvonne. (Lydia is a biblical and Jane Austen name. Isobel -with the Scottish 'O' spelling- means "pledged to God" and Yvonne is French for a type of wood/tree. Isobel and Yvonne were the first names of my two grandmothers who recently passed away.)

We had a very difficult time choosing our girl's name to go with the mns! I even posting yesterday asking for suggestions! I think these are our names, but if I'm missing anything glaringly horrid, please let me know. Naming a child is a big deal, and I want to get it right.
    Our last name starts with a 'W' and is two-syllables.

Any Nickname suggestions for either boy or girl?
    Last edited by meganleda; August 17th, 2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Typos

Very nice! I really like them both!
    I know a Rowan Gregory. He is called Ro and Roey. He is a ginger.
    I love Lydia! Lydie is the only nickname I can think of. Lydia Isobel Yvonne has such a nice flow. It's great that the grandmother's names go well together. Sometimes that can be tricky.

Thanks. It's nice to have someone else like your names. Not that I would change them because one person hated them, but you know what I mean. First baby and I'm so nervous, so it's nice to at least have names taken care of!
    I really like Ro as a nn for Rowan. My husband also wants to call him Rory after a Doctor Who character lol!
    Lydia doesn't really need a nn, but I thought one might be nice. I like Lydie

Rowan James and Lydia Isobel Yvonne are fine combos so I don't think you need to be paranoid. Since this is your first child, it is important to think about what type of style you like. Often, the firstborn's name indicates what names will be chosen for any future children. Many parents mix styles for each gender as you have done (a nature name for one gender and a more traditional name for the other gender). Judging by your thoughtful post, you've obviously considered that fact.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I love the choices. I think Lydia and Rowan work pretty well together, and the combinations are charming.