39 40.21%
  • India Quinn

6 6.19%
  • Isla Quinn

47 48.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by baconandmeggs View Post
    I think it is an American thing to do. I love America Ferrera's name. When I meet or hear of kids named America, as an American, I consider whether their parents just loved this country a whole super lot, or whether they are perhaps Latin descendants and it's a tip to Amerigo...?

I definitely don't want to get into a disagreement when I've only just today signed up because I love names, but I have to disagree, hopefully without being disagreeABLE or negative in any way.

I am a person who would self-identify as "white" but I have seven multi-racial "half" siblings and if "white" meant descended only from certain areas of Europe, even I might not qualify for that. "White" is not, to me and my identity, a community identity or an ethnicity, unlike Black which is a heritage as well as a community or Indian or other groups. My nationality is American. The name India comes from a place that is now a nation. The history was full of pain for those people. That shouldn't be applauded by any means. So if it offended a person, it would likely be people of that nationality or heritage. Ok, I'm with you on that.

But it's when you get to the race part that I'm disturbed. Race is a social contruct, not a biological construct. So for you to tell me what is and isn't appropriate to name my probably-going-to-look-"white"-to-you baby, when it's something that isn't innately offensive is, well, a little bit offensive. It's not like it's Adolf Hitler Aryan Nation India Surname. Me being "white" shouldn't dictate the entirety of my decisions, although everyone should attempt to be completely sensitive when using names from outside their culture. Is "India" some sort of mala in se? Is it evil in itself? Not imo. It's all the context. What if you were adopted and didn't know your biological culture specifically? How would you relate to names and concepts of heritage differently? Just some questions to throw out there.

Yes, whiteness is ubiquitous; that's why it's not an identity, that's why when racist jerks say "oh well if I had a white-only magazine or tv station it'd be racist, it's not fair," they are missing the whole point because every magazine and TV station is a white magazine and TV station. You can't forbid white people to use names that honor a tradition just because they can't pull out a record book and show you that they delineate from that tradition. I am the last person to talk about "reverse discrimination" (AKA victim blaming) but we can't sit up on our high horses and decide for other people what they can name their baby just because of what you identify to be their race.

If you think you can find a name that won't offend a single person either by the sound, connotation, popularity, uniqueness, history, gender bias, etc., I think you're going to be doing a lot of polls for a really long time!
    umm... did you miss the WHOLE part where I said "but this is just my opinion"
    I never said she CAN'T use the name, please do not put words in my mouth, I am just highly suggesting she consider not using it for the reasons I gave.

And just for the record, I am not a fan on any country names (India, China, Ireland, America, etc.), so I'm NOT just against India.
    Last edited by catloverd; August 17th, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    umm... did you miss the WHOLE part where I said "but this is just my opinion"
    I never said she CAN'T use the name, please do not put words in my mouth, I am just highly suggesting she consider not using it for the reasons I gave.

And just for the record, I am not a fan on any country names (India, China, Ireland, America, etc.), so I'm NOT just against India.
    If the WHOLE part was the part, then no, I didn't miss it...I also said "I'm not trying to be disagreeable although I disagree" so I thought we were doing pretty well at being polite up to then. I didn't read that you were against place names, I believe you said you didn't like it when white people used names of countries they weren't from. So I responded to that. It's not a big deal, just another OPINION

Futurekids will have 2-syllable French surname.

Name Lust:

Oriana • Zara • Shoshanna • Damaris
    Greta • Elowen • Marina • Geneva
    Delphine • Hero • Gemma • Zora
    Zuzana "Zuzu" • Ventura • Marie-Noëlle
    Linden • Anouk • Georgiana • Juniper

Branson • Hugo • Kit • Chance • Alban
    Kingsley • Fox • Theodore • Judah

Quote Originally Posted by baconandmeggs View Post
    If the WHOLE part was the part, then no, I didn't miss it...I also said "I'm not trying to be disagreeable although I disagree" so I thought we were doing pretty well at being polite up to then. I didn't read that you were against place names, I believe you said you didn't like it when white people used names of countries they weren't from. So I responded to that. It's not a big deal, just another OPINION
    Sorry, but it was just this part "So for you to tell me what is and isn't appropriate to name my probably-going-to-look-"white"-to-you baby, when it's something that isn't innately offensive is, well, a little bit offensive." that really bothered me, because I didn't tell you not to name your baby that... just suggested not to.

I don't like it when White people name there children China, but I also wouldn't like it if a Chinese person named their child America or Germany. BUT as I said "it's an American/English thing to do" meaning other countries (that don't speak English since I know England and Australia are guilty of this as well) don't do it. You don't see people in China naming their children India or Ireland. You don't see people in Germany naming their kids England or Scotland. And so on... they have just a bit more "class" in my opinion...

OP: just keep in mind that it's not you that has to live with the name, you might be fine with carrying around the name India or being and India, but your daughter might not. What if she wants to go to India? Or maybe she'll avoid going there because she'll think she'll appear silly... just things to consider...

Again, this is just an opinion.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Totally valid. Speaking of being less classy, what you highlighted was harsh of me and not classy to say. I sincerely wish I had phrased it less defensively. You're right. It's the Internet that does it to me! If we were having tea and coffee and cookies and talking about names, I know we would leave the sociology and heat at home and just say what you just said to the OP, which is that we just need to be considerate of these future adults. sorry for getting off topic OP!

Futurekids will have 2-syllable French surname.

Name Lust:

Oriana • Zara • Shoshanna • Damaris
    Greta • Elowen • Marina • Geneva
    Delphine • Hero • Gemma • Zora
    Zuzana "Zuzu" • Ventura • Marie-Noëlle
    Linden • Anouk • Georgiana • Juniper

Branson • Hugo • Kit • Chance • Alban
    Kingsley • Fox • Theodore • Judah

I love both Isla and Quinn so I voted for Isla Quinn. Such a beautiful name with a nice flow. India is nice but it's nms.
    TTC#1 Mid-twenty something. Married to my best friend 3-3-12. Name lover and science nerd.

Favorite Names: XX: Georgia, Wren, Arden, Mabel, Coralie, Leona, Aviana, Marin
    XY: Callum, Thomas, Hudson, Sullivan, Jonah