• Isla Kathryn

39 40.21%
  • India Quinn

6 6.19%
  • Isla Quinn

47 48.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I think it's a little interesting that you'd brush off the offensiveness (if that's a word) of the name but shy away from it if it sounds 'trashy.' Kind of like saying, I don't care what people think about the name on a human rights perspective, but dang it if I'm going sound low class!
    Also keep in mind that many of the people who find it offensive would thusly find it trashy

I'm not brushing off the offensive aspect. I said I would ask my Indian friends before deciding. I just want to set that aside and get other opinions because after reading many forums on the topic, it seems the offensiveness (totally a word) issue might be a little blown out of proportion. SO, I would like to know if there are other connotations / denotations other than the one I've already heard about with which I should be concerned, rather than another ongoing discussion about the potential offensiveness. As other posters have mentioned, that topic has been covered.

I am aware of the historical issues regarding Colonial Britain and of the sensitivity toward the name India, but I still love it. It is not just about the country or the history or the fact that there are also other things/places with the word India/Indian/Indiana in them.

It has been used in the American South for hundreds of years. I also loved it from Gone With The Wind. And yeah, we have our own violent and oppressive past, but we don't not use "Scarlett" because Scarlett O'Hara owned slaves, or similar. I have met tons of Indias, and yes, they are all wealthy little petite blonde blue-eyed probably-descended-from-British-people girls, but there is also India Arie and other instances of it being used multiculturally. I just find that if you love it, it's okay. It can be personal to someone and not owned solely by a historic tragedy.

I personally think that until Isla gets full-blown popular (at which point, I tend to avoid names anyway) it's going to be mispronounced. Particularly since it means Island in Spanish as you mentioned. Isla Nublar, the setting for Jurassic Park. Lol. It is gorgeous in a way but it's also so trendy among namers right now. I voted for India.

Futurekids will have 2-syllable French surname.

Name Lust:

Oriana • Zara • Shoshanna • Damaris
    Greta • Elowen • Marina • Geneva
    Delphine • Hero • Gemma • Zora
    Zuzana "Zuzu" • Ventura • Marie-Noëlle
    Linden • Anouk • Georgiana • Juniper

Branson • Hugo • Kit • Chance • Alban
    Kingsley • Fox • Theodore • Judah

India Quinn or India Kathryn. Isla is a good name but India is prettier to me.
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

Quote Originally Posted by ellemariachi View Post
    It seems to me that those posts have to do with a misunderstanding of the origin of the name, believing that India was a transliteration by British colonialists (incorrect) rather than a long-before established transliteration of Greek origin (correct). I find the comparison to the name Jemima in one post hilarious. We don't not use Jemima in the American south because it it offensive to anyone. We don't use it because it reminds us of syrup!

I could understand if the name was used as a pejorative but it sounds to me like it was actually the opposite, so I am not too worried about the 'offensive' aspect.
    There is no 'misunderstanding of origins'. Yes, India may have been a name before India was colonised. But are you genuinely saying that it totally wipes out issues with cultural appropriation? Your argument also totally disregards the fact that India only became widespread amongst white-British children 1860 onwards. It was a name previously, but it's common usage in upperclass Brits was purely because of the rule over India and that's what people have a problem with.

Anyway - the issue with India being offensive only really applies to it being used in the UK, due to the history of British/Indian relations. In the US, you'll have pretty much no problem, I wouldn't think.

But I digress! I'm obsessed with the nn Kitty, so I'm automatically voting Kathryn in the middle. Isla and India are on par for me... they're both popular (in the UK anyway, and rapidly rising in the US) - but I think Isla Kathryn has a better ring.
    ★ O L I V I A ★
    (seventeen, student/traveller, obsessively maternal - with a darling black cat named Shura)

Emmett - Alec - Rufus - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Trudie - Fenella - Aoife - Jemima - Polly