39 40.21%
  • India Quinn

6 6.19%
  • Isla Quinn

47 48.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    The name India comes with all sorts of British colonial baggage that taints the name for me. I like Isla Quinn or Isla Kathryn. Is changing the spelling of Kathryn to Catherine or Katherine an option? You can still honour your grandmother but your daughter would have her own spelling of the name. I think Isla "sounds" better with your "Mc" surname too.
    I agree with Mischa. I personally think Isla Catherine would be lovely!

Stepping away from what some view as offensive about the name, I just don't like the name India because I see it as being very low class. I've met dozens of people named India, Africa, Asia, America, Kenya, Mali, etc. and I'm sorry, but they have a very trashy connotation for me.
    India is a very pretty word, but when used as a girls name it just screams low class.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    Stepping away from what some view as offensive about the name, I just don't like the name India because I see it as being very low class. I've met dozens of people named India, Africa, Asia, America, Kenya, Mali, etc. and I'm sorry, but they have a very trashy connotation for me.
    India is a very pretty word, but when used as a girls name it just screams low class.
    That's more what I was worried about. None of those names are ever, ever used here so it is hard to tell how they are perceived elsewhere, the 'offensive' aspect aside.

Isla Quinn! And not because I think India would be offensive to anyone, or that it sounds "low-class", because truthfully I really like the name. But with your surname it would be entirely out of place, whereas Isla's roots are from the same place : )
    Raphael Benedict-Charles Ransom-Jude Matthias-Damian Pascal-Seth Augustine

Lucia Marguerite-Genevieve Reine-Maura Francesca

Honor-Elisabeta-Maeve-Afton-Ophelia-Calhoun-Ishmael-Arthur-Monroe-Sasha

I voted for Isla Kathryn. I think India is a beautiful name with more elegance and substance than Isla, but the arguments over India have gotten so nasty that it's turned me off of the name.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine