• Isla Kathryn

39 40.21%
  • India Quinn

6 6.19%
  • Isla Quinn

47 48.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    The name India comes with all sorts of British colonial baggage that taints the name for me. I like Isla Quinn or Isla Kathryn. Is changing the spelling of Kathryn to Catherine or Katherine an option? You can still honour your grandmother but your daughter would have her own spelling of the name. I think Isla "sounds" better with your "Mc" surname too.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

@ellemariachi - India's usage as a female given name began among upper-class Brits around the time and as a direct result of the British occupation of India. This occupation was terribly violent, racist, exploitative, and oppressive, and the name's association with that is what people object to. I think this name is at least as offensive as Cohen and it's a pretty bad idea to use it. India's sound is gorgeous, but there are other gorgeous names out there (perhaps Indira?)

Here are some of the threads, I recommend reading them in their entirety:
    India - Should it be used?
    India

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    There are numerous threads on the name India. Search for them and you'll be enlightened. It's almost like a war breaks out when people mention the name. Not something I'd go for in a child's name. :-/."
    It seems to me that those posts have to do with a misunderstanding of the origin of the name, believing that India was a transliteration by British colonialists (incorrect) rather than a long-before established transliteration of Greek origin (correct). I find the comparison to the name Jemima in one post hilarious. We don't not use Jemima in the American south because it it offensive to anyone. We don't use it because it reminds us of syrup!

I could understand if the name was used as a pejorative but it sounds to me like it was actually the opposite, so I am not too worried about the 'offensive' aspect.
    Last edited by ellemariachi; August 17th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ellemariachi View Post
    It seems to me that those posts have to do with a misunderstanding of the origin of the name, believing that India was a transliteration by British colonialists (incorrect) rather than a long-before established transliteration of Greek origin (correct). I find the comparison to the name Jemima in one post hilarious. We don't not use Jemima in the American south because it it offensive to anyone. We don't use it because it reminds us of syrup!

I could understand if the name was used as a pejorative but it sounds to me like it was actually the opposite, so I am not too worried about the 'offensive' aspect.
    Whaaat? Seriously? What's your source for this?
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I voted for Isla Quinn because I'm not real big on India but I do have to admit that I like the idea of a little girl named Indy - are you a nicknamer?