6 6.19%
  • Isla Quinn

47 48.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

India Kathryn or Isla Quinn

Kathryn is favorite grandmother's name.

Last name is 3 syllable McI----

Nicknames would be Indi, Kitty (also after gma).

I live in the American south and have NEVER met anyone named India, even when I lived in a big northeastern city. Loved the name since i first heard it in Gone With the Wind as a child. I don't so much think of it as a place name but more as a classic name that has fallen out of use.

I understand it's maybe overdone in Brittain?

What sort of associations do you have with this name? I don't mind if it's pretentious but I do kind of mind if it's like the go-to 'exotic' name for the teen mother set.

Other favorite is Isla (I-la) Quinn (Q after other Gma) but I worry about the Latina influence and people calling calling her is-la.

Any brothers would have biblical names, probably J or E names like Jonah, Ezra, Ezekiel, Joel. It's a family tradition thing. Girls names we can go wild with though.
    Last edited by ellemariachi; August 17th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

I'd go with Isla, I'm not a fan of country/continent names. To some people they come across as offensive and that's not something I'd personally want to have to deal with. It's also seen as very "American/English" (which isn't necessarily a good thing) because you don't see Japanese naming their kids Japan or Germans naming their kids Germany. (I'm half Chinese and I've seen my Chinese family members mock/scoff at Americans for stuff like this)

But this is just my opinion.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    I'd go with Isla, I'm not a fan of country/continent names. To some people they come across as offensive and that's not something I'd personally want to have to deal with.
    Offensive in what way?

There are numerous threads on the name India. Search for them and you'll be enlightened. It's almost like a war breaks out when people mention the name. Not something I'd go for in a child's name. :-/

Isla Kathryn is stunning. The name is common enough that I highly doubt you'll have many pronunciation issues. Even then, it's a quick correction, "no, not like the Spanish word ees-la, like island without the -nd."
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I like India Kathryn! And I think isla Quinn would make a great sister if you plan to have more.
    Mama to Daphne Lane

Girls: Celia, Willa, Mabel, Mae, Maeve, Gwyneth/Gwendolyn (Gwen), Vivienne (Vivi), Audrey, Annabel, Adair, Liv, Grace, Thea, Eloise, Maggie, Rosalie (Rosie), Zara, Sloane, Aria, Middles: Reverie, Bellamy, Mirabel, Winter

Boys: Griffin, Grant, Ford, Rafferty, Zane, Boyd, Bry, Harrison, Gavin, Layton, Warren, Lane, Hayes, Wilder, Holden