Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need advice...

Hey everyone,
    My husband and I have been trying to conceive for the past month or so now. I know that we are really early in the process and would just like to seek some advice. I had very irregular periods before I went on birth control when I was 17. I went off birth control this past May and was expecting my periods to become just as irregular as they were before I first went on birth control. I am 22 btw. I had my first period after going off the pill on June 7th which would make it a 39 day cycle, which I didn't think was too bad concidering all of the stress I was under at the time. But now I haven't had a period since and it will be going on 3 months. I am wondering if I could be pregnant. Is it too fast? I took a pregnancy test on August 16th and it was negative. I have been having all kinds of symptoms, sore boobs, mood swings, nausea, extra discharge, I am EXHAUSTED, certain foods I can't eat, I have to pee more often, and I have been breaking out really bad. Is it possible that my body is still trying to regulate itself from going off the pill? When do you think that I should take another pregnancy test or possibly make an appointment to see the doctor. It sucks having irregular periods because it makes this much more difficult!! I am already convinced that it will be difficult for us to conceive and I am just looking for any advice or maybe someone that has had a similar situation.
    Thanks so much in advance!!

After being on the pill for that long, I think it's just your body trying to regulate itself for a change. You tested only 5 days ago, I'd be inclined to believe that the HPT was telling the truth and you aren't pregnant but you could always test again for confirmation. I don't think it would hurt to go to the doctor, either. He or she might be able to tell you if you have any underlying issues that are causing the irregular periods (I'm specifically thinking of PCOS).
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I'm sorry to hear this has been stressful to you! I'll try to answer a few of your questions:

Those are promising symptoms for pregnancy. If you took a test on August 16, you could certainly take another. You're HCG level rises rapidly with pregnancy, so a few days can make a huge difference in getting a positive. I'm not sure what you mean by "too fast". A woman can get pregnant the first month off of the pill, so it isn't too fast to get pregnant. Going off the pill does cause some women's body to go through weird stuff though, so I can't say for sure that all of those aren't also symptomatic... It's still worth testing though.

If the test is negative, I really think you should talk to your doctor ASAP. A doctor can give you testing to see if your irregularity is related to some sort of condition that can be managed. These could include PCOS, endometriosis, and thyroid issues. It's probably NOT something serious (don't want to scary you), but seeing a doctor could rule some of these out.

As to your irregular periods, there are some things you can do that could relieve a bit of stress. If you're able to pinpoint ovulation, that will tell you whether your period is late due to a late ovulation date or no ovulation yet (so you're not pregnant), or it's late and you already ovulated (good chance of pregnancy). You can do that by purchasing ovulation predictor kits (OPKs)/sticks that you pee on and they tell you if you'll ovulate within 24-36 hours. You can also take your temperature first thing every morning and record it on a chart. Before ovulation, your temperature will be low-ish, and after you've ovulated, your temperature will rise and stay up consistently until your period comes. Some people find temping to be really inconvenient, but it's the most reliable way to know whether you HAVE ovulated (since OPKs will only tell you that you're body is planning on ovulating, and can give false positives if you have certain hormonal conditions like poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). There's a great book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler. I have had really irregular cycles in the past and this book helped me understand what exactly is happening in my body rather than it all being a mystery between periods.

Other potential causes of irregularity: high stress levels (sometimes your body will delay ovulating due to a stress situation, like moving house), being significantly underweight or in an extreme exercise regimen (I'm thinking like an Olympic athlete, not someone who goes to the gym regularly), being obese.

Also, feel free to join us over on the TTC 2013 forum! There's a bunch of us who analyze our own fertility like nobody's business :-), and support each other through this journey.

So to sum up: Go ahead and take a test, and if it's negative, I'd highly recommend seeing a doctor. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Estella ~ Helena ~ Miriam ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Ivy ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Thanks for the imput. I am not sure if I am ovulating because I just started charting my temp this week. I am hoping that this way I can take better charge of getting pregnant instead of just leaving it to chance. I think I will probably test again on Friday and if it is still negative I will call the doctor. Idk what is going on, I honestly have never felt like this before and it has been driving me crazy waiting. I just want to know or get my period so that I can move on!! I will join the ttc 2013 too. Thanks so much!!

I was on the pill from age 19 to age 24. When I went off of it, it about a year for my cycle to regulate itself. I was keeping track of my cycles and I had 90 day cycles, 45 day cycles, 18 day cycles- it was nuts. It finally did regulate itself and now my cycles are reliably 26-28 days. But it was definitely a crazy year and I had a lot of the symptoms you describe. I kept taking pregnancy tests, but they were always negative. I did not go to the doctor about it b.c I had no insurance and I figured it was all from the pill. Anyhow, I hope that this does not last that long for you, and that you are able to seek medical help!