Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    My son used a pacifier for a little bit but then got thrush and it wouldn't go away and we were worried the pacifier was part of the reason so we got rid of it at about two months. He could have cared less. My daughter never took one (or a bottle) but we did offer it. I really don't see it as a big deal either way.

A two week old is way too young to be crying it out. While you don't need to drop everything every second that she cries especially if you're in the bathroom or something it's OK to let her fuss a little bit. But definitely not for longer then ten minutes and you shouldn't be worried yet about not spoiling her or creating bad habits. She's crying and wanting to be held because she is still in the process of bonding with you. You'll learn as she grows older that a lot of the things you hope your child will never do will in fact happen. And crying for a particular parent is part of kids growing up and forming bonds.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

When they're very young I don't let them cry for long, if I can help it. It's their only way to communicate and they do it when something isn't right. But I have 3 going on 4 children, so sometimes have to prioritise who needs me the most and sometimes the baby needs to cry for a minute while I sort someone else. but I try to use the sling or do things one handed so the baby doesn't need to be away from me for long. I like the idea of the 4th trimester where you keep the baby close to you as much as possible in the early days as they're just not able to cope away from you. I don't think you can comfort them too much.
    Mum to Mousie, Foo, Bumptious and Pudding.

Bronwen we didn't give one to on purpose and it worked out fine. She was easily sastified by nursing, and I was tandeming with Seb so I didn't "drown" her whenever she latched on for a quick comfort nurse. I did want to get Linus started on one when he was a baby since we are an active family and he would need to be in his carseat when we drove places (at the time we were doing a HS co-op with field trips etc) but he was born with tongue tie and never ended up doing one even after his frenulum was clipped. Same story with Vio, another tongue tie and sadly she wouldn't take one either. With Wolfie he was *not* tongue tied and he *did* take one for a little while but after a bit just decided he didn't like it or something....and he hates his carseat, hates it. Thankfully now that he is older I can time when he is getting sleepy when we leave the house (not that we can *always* time when we have to be a certain place at a certain time) and the older kids can entertain him too but still, wish he would take one for a car ride. Sebastian did take one up until about 8 months old and it did not affect our bfing relationship or anything else.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

My sister and I never used pacifier's / dummies. We didn't like them and they were never really introduced. Mum thought it was better for us to learn to cope with being fussy / tired / sad, etc. than giving as a dummy to bottle that up (a bit New Agey, but I wholeheartedly believe it- it is a personal thing though ). She found that even though we had screaming fits, it was usually for a reason (hungry, tired, stung by a bee, etc.), and we were quick to settle ourselves, but it really depends on the child. Babies cry a lot, and it is usually because they need something / are just letting off emotion, especially from overstimulation, something I couldn't handle and still don't handle very well.

If we were crying for no particular reason, mum would leave us for a minute (when we were older) to see if we would settle ourselves. When we were younger, she was practically there the second we started crying. About 50% of the time, we self settled (my sister more so than me), otherwise, she would pick us up and dance with us to soft music, or just rock us. I didn't like the dummy, but I needed the pressure of someone / something holding me firmly (Asperger's runs in our family, and I have a lot of those traits, or maybe even undiagnosed Asperger's) for comfort. I used to wedge myself between the two lounges when I was a baby, and that always calmed me down, whereas my sister always got really scared in tight places. It just depends upon the baby.
    Last edited by nooshi; July 21st, 2014 at 06:28 AM.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

The decision to use a paci is neither right nor wrong, so be flexible based on your child's needs. My first wouldn't take a paci. My second was obsessed with his until shortly after his 2nd birthday. He then decided pacis were for babies and he gave his up. My third is in the middle. He likes his paci when he is tired or fussy, but doesn't need it like his older brother did.