Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Too Seventies?

Heather is a perfectly good name! It isn't misspelt and it's fairly traditional; what's not to like?? Personally, I feel that ranks it far above made up/smoosh/surname names.

I hate the term 'dated'.

Say Caitlin, for example. Like Heather it's not a name I'd pick myself but it has all the qualities I respect in a name and is ridiculously popular at the moment, like Heather was in the 70's/80's. But that isn't going to detract from it's appeal in ten years time; it's still going to be the same nice name despite it's former popularity.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Actually, there was a film that came out in the late eighties named "Heathers" which made fun of the overused name. The film portrays four girls — three of whom are named Heather — in a clique at a high school. So- yeah - it's very "dated" to the 70's and 80's.
    I did specify that there was no real association "to me". I have never heard of this movie so my statement remains true and I still do not believe it to be dated.

listography.com/JessicaRoseSays

Alexander Owen ~ Patrick Thomas ~ Jeremy Shea ~ Nolan Jack ~ Conor Arlo ~ Evan Daniel ~ Samuel Mark
    Nora ~ Claire ~ Stella ~ Maura ~ Madeleine ~ Violet ~ Victoria ~ Ava ~ Gabrielle ~ Leah ~ Soleil

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    I grew up w/a lot of Heathers, but always found it soft, pretty, nature-y. I like it. People in her generation won't think of it as an 80's name.
    I agree with this.

I've seen Heather used a lot as an example of a dated name, like "oh ____ isn't dated, at least it's not super dated like Heather" but I think it would stop seeming dated if people started using it again. Abigail seemed dated until daring parents revived it and now you'd picture it on a little girl sooner than an old woman. I think Heather has a really pretty sound and the nature connection is appealing, go for it!
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Although nature names are in vogue, Heather is stuck in the 70-80's period so it's currently "dated". Personally, I knew far too many mean Heathers growing up to even suggest it to anyone. It may be another generation before she's revived again.
    I couldn't agree more. I have never met a Heather that was even remotely nice so personally I think it is an ugly name through and through.

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names