Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I read that study a few years ago (I wish I had saved it and could now reference it properly) ...
    What it came down to wasn't that uncommon names are bad but that very uncommon names/often
    with weird-ass spellings were given to children of lower socio-economic back-grounds.
    Most of these kids are "yes" black and come from single parent homes.

However, the study concluded that while people might associate such names with potential trouble makers -
    a good, solid resume should convince them otherwise. The reason why people often think this is that many of these kids
    (often to no fault of their parents) do not receive the same attention at home and thus don't do as well in school
    and have more time to get into trouble as teens. It's not causal affect but a correlation that goes with having a single parent who has to work 3 jobs to make ends meet and their ability not to compromise while naming their kid as there is no other parent to please.

I think that by the time your kids are old enough to apply for jobs this will be pretty mute as my boss (aVP as a internationally renowned organization) named his youngest Holland.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    I read that study a few years ago (I wish I had saved it and could now reference it properly) ...
    What it came down to wasn't that uncommon names are bad but that very uncommon names/often
    with weird-ass spellings were given to children of lower socio-economic back-grounds.
    Most of these kids are "yes" black and come from single parent homes.

However, the study concluded that while people might associate such names with potential trouble makers -
    a good, solid resume should convince them otherwise. The reason why people often think this is that many of these kids
    (often to no fault of their parents) do not receive the same attention at home and thus don't do as well in school
    and have more time to get into trouble as teens. It's not causal affect but a correlation that goes with having a single parent who has to work 3 jobs to make ends meet and their ability not to compromise while naming their kid as there is no other parent to please.

I think that by the time your kids are old enough to apply for jobs this will be pretty mute as my boss (aVP as a internationally renowned organization) named his youngest Holland.
    Yeah that makes sense. He's definitely feeling better about it now and realizes it's a silly worry, but I was just curious if there might be any truth to it, glad there really isn't!
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables