Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How True Is this?

Last night I was talking to my husband about baby names and figuring out why he and I have different tastes... not sure if that's it since he likes the names I like, but he's "scared" to use them...

Anyway, he mentioned that he likes names like Catherine, Elizabeth, Anna (classics) and stronger sounding boy names like Zach, Tim, Tom, Eric, etc. because "classic" or "common" girl names tend to get higher paying jobs, while strong boy names (Bob, Brad, Mark) do better in life. But I prefer names that aren't as "common" or "popular" like Luna and Flora, and I love softer sounding boy names like Ezra and Sasha.

I pointed out to him it's a correlation study which made him laugh because ironically enough he hates correlation studies because they lack a lot of data (he's a science guy). But now I know why I tend to not like his names at all, and he likes my names, but isn't in love with them.

So basically: How true is this?
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

I have read studies stating that people with classic, common names are more likely to get called in for interviews, hired, and have higher paying jobs than their peers with unusual names or names with unique spellings. That said, I am not a scientist so I can't tell you how accurate the studies are. I do think certain names sound more professional than other names. For example, Kaylee doesn't sound as professional as Catherine (no offense to anyone who likes that name).

I think its something to keep in mind, but not necessarily deter you from using names you love.

By the time the kids that are being nowdays are grown up, perceptions of names will probably have changed. Kaylee will be a mom's name and Catherine might sound dated (probably not, though. Catherine's a classic). Softer boys' names are in vogue these days and I think they'd have a chance of being taken seriously as adults, if you don't go overboard.
    Maybe you could compromise. Caroline is a classic girl's name. So is Flora. Everrett is both a lassic and strong-sounding boy's name and they are all on your list

I read such a study, and it was pretty thorough...Alexander/Alexandra came at/near the top for success in life, so...you could go with either and nn Sasha/Sacha to cover both of your preferences.

Thanks for the suggestions, but some of those are names I like, not necessarily can use. I have niece named Nora, so Flora is out (too rhymey). I have a 2nd cousin? or is it 3rd? can never keep them straight, but my cousin named her baby Alexander, so can't use that.

Everett and Caroline are still in the running though.

Does anyone have links to any of these studies and how accurate they are? Do they keep in mind how educated the parents are and the people getting the jobs? Their work experience? ETC?

I mean I've worked with people with the strangest names, usually it's because their a different ethnicity, but they still have good jobs. I've also met people with classic, common names, and aren't doctors or nurses, etc.... so it doesn't really concern me, but for some reason it bothers my DH (who, himself, has a decent job (programmer) and a soft name: Brendan)
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables