Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Are our names really that bad?

Hi all,

We're expecting a girl in October and have been getting a lot of negative feedback about our name options, that they're too weird to actually use on a child. We want to use names that mean a lot to us rather than just names we like, and we'd prefer something a little bit different, though not too out there.

We've thrown a lot of names around over the last few months but at the minute we're leaning towards one of:

Caira - pronounced Ky-rah - My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Cairo, Egypt. As Cairo is pronounced Ky-ro, by changing the last letter to an A gives the same pronunciation as the already established girls' name Kyra, but with a spelling that is more meaningful to us.

Anneliese - this honours grandparents named Anne and Elizabeth (Elise is a short form of Elisabeth, a variant spelling of Elizabeth). We're getting comments that the spelling is too complicated.

Xanthe - honours my husband's late father Alexander. Bonus points for my maiden name starting with Th, as well.

Marsa - pronounced Mar-suh - honours Marcel, a childhood friend of my husband's who died of cancer. We looked at other feminisations of his name but decided we liked this one best.

Pegwin - honours my mother, Peggy and his grandmother Winifred.

Our surname is my username, if that makes any difference to you, and we have no middle name picked yet either.

Anneliese (provided it's anna-leeza) and Xanthe are fine

Not a fan of any of the others.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I agree with renrose.

We would pronounce Anneliese like Anna-lease, not with an A on the end. I know some of the others might seem made up but we're ok with that, we like the sound and the look of them and also what they mean to us.

Anneliese and Caira are fine, Xanthe is fine but nms at all.

The others sound pretty bad
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.