Names Searched Right Now:

Best Biblical Boy Names?

We want to name our boys using biblical first names, according to family tradition.

The following names are already in use in the family and we don't want to reuse them: Joel, John, Paul, Jeremiah, James, Benjamin, Jared, Caleb, Adam, Luke, Andrew, Joshua, Michael, Jesse, David.

Middle name might be Michael or Joshua or something non-biblical but family related like Fletcher, Jay or Rand.

Names we like okay are Ezekiel, Ezra, but we are not in love with either. Hezekiah and Micah are definite nos. I love Jude and Asa but DH says too feminine. I also want to stay away from the most popular biblical names like Matthew, Noah, Jonathan.

What I want is something nice-sounding and with some real context not just a name that appears in the begats.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ellemariachi; August 17th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Gideon, Malachi and Zechariah are three that came to my mind right away. I love Bible names! Mordecai is also pretty cool. Levi is adorable. And I love Isaiah!

Edit: As for Biblical context. Gideon was an outstanding judge, Malachi, Zechariah and Isaiah where prophets and Bible writers. Mordecai is found in the book of Esther and it's really worth a read especially if you're interested in the name. And Levi was a son of Jacob and the name of the tribe formed by his offspring.
    There's waaaay more to these guys that what I mentioned, but that's the jist.
    Last edited by meganleda; August 17th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Some Bible names that you didn't mention in your post:
    Daniel
    Thomas
    Nathaniel
    Isaac
    Abel
    Abraham
    Moses
    Titus
    Tobias
    Silas
    Gabriel
    Gideon
    Solomon
    Eleazar
    Philip
    Philemon
    Phineas

There are a great many names mentioned in the NT in letters. The name we've chosen for our son, Linus, is mentioned by Paul in the Bible and Christian tradition holds that Linus was the successor of Peter.

This list doesn't include everyone in the NT, but it's pretty good...
    Category:New Testament people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by smismar; August 17th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

Quote Originally Posted by meganleda View Post
    Gideon, Malachi and Zechariah are three that came to my mind right away. I love Bible names! Mordecai is also pretty cool. Levi is adorable. And I love Isaiah!

Edit: As for Biblical context. Gideon was an outstanding judge, Malachi, Zechariah and Isaiah where prophets and Bible writers. Mordecai is found in the book of Esther and it's really worth a read especially if you're interested in the name. And Levi was a son of Jacob and the name of the tribe formed by his offspring.
    There's waaaay more to these guys that what I mentioned, but that's the jist.
    Sadly Jacob is also already in use. Love the character Mordecai but the name sounds too much like Mortician for my taste.

Levi and Isaiah are some of my faves but husband doesn't dig them.

I hadn't thought of Gideon. I'd be afraid that he'd be called Giddy. DH likes Zechariah but I think it's too close to played out Zachary. I love Malachi and Machaiah but our last name starts with Mc so I'm afraid it might be too alliterative.