Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    I've always liked the name Icarus, and I've known that myth since I was a child (first or second grade, maybe). Maybe it's because I watched the animated Hercules series (a spin-off) of the Disney series, where Icarus survived flying too close to the sun, but it made him rather loopy. He also went by Ic in that series and I somehow never associated it with Icky.

Everyone is obessing over Icky as a potential nickname, but what about Cary or Russ?

I know what you're talking about though with Icarus the squirrel in Little Nemo.
    I don't think many people will remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by giinkies View Post
    I know what you're talking about though with Icarus the squirrel in Little Nemo.
    I don't think many people will remember that.
    Bahaha we have a winner! I love that movie when I was a kid, but it certainly wasn't on Disney level of popularity.

Thanks for all the opinions so far, I'm still torn, I like it, not as much as I love my other top picks for boys, but Icarus has always been floating on the sidelines, and I can see little a little playgroup with George, Henry, Jacob and Icarus. Icky actually doesn't bother me too much surprisingly, but I am sure it would bother the right child I love the suggestion of Russ for a nickname though! I had a great uncle Russell who never made it home from the war, and an uncle Russell who was named for him.

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Icarus is a myth warning us not to reach too high in life. It's a deprecating name. How about Daedalus? Daedalus was his father, an inventor, he built the minotaur labyrinth and he and his son were tossed in to seal the secret of it's existence. Daedalus engineered wings out of seagull feathers and wax.

Phaedra is from the same myth.

I am less bothered by the myth involving a child's death unintentionally at the hands of his father, and more put off by the idea of the nickname Icky.