Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Icarus - Flying too close to the sun?

General opinions on Icarus? Is it usable or a bit too much?

I'm not sure if I will ever see past the Flying Squirrel image from my childhood (points if you know what I'm talking about!) or the Mythology!

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Icarus isn't my style. I will always think of the myth. It's just a very tragic name to me.
    Megan

no kids anytime soon, just a name fanatic

I'd say a bit much, and I have a very high tolerance for oddness. (I share your enthusiasm for Cadmus, for example; it's one of the top two contenders if our baby, due early April, is a boy.) The myth isn't a great association. And what if Icarus got shortened to Icky?

Love the story...Icarus is better than Daedelus (slightly).

I know an Icarus. He's Icarus Jaren Hale with siblings Acheron, Clio, Erebos, and Phaedra (not sure on their middles)

I love the name, but the story of Icarus is so sad and Icky is terrible. However, there is a lot more to Icarus than that story. Gather round for the mythology lesson :P

The story of flying to close to the sun is the most often told story of Icarus. The Hellenic Air Force is named for Icarus who is seen as the mythical pioneer in Greece's attempt to conquer the skies. Many people take his story as one of hubris but really, it was boyish curiosity and misfortune. Once he was given the wings he couldn't help himself. Overcome by the giddiness that flying lent him, Icarus soared through the sky curiously, but in the process he came too close to the sun, which melted the wax. Icarus kept flapping his wings but soon realized that he had no feathers left and that he was only flapping his bare arms, and so Icarus fell into the sea in the area which today bears his name, the Icarian Sea near Icaria, an island southwest of Samos.
    I mean, if you were given wings, how controlled would you be to fly for the first time?
    The name Icarus has been used on two previous and one current occasion for projects involving space-flight. The first two were in 1967 and 2009 the third was announced in March 2009. He's used in art and music.

So I do think it could be usable, but understand that there's a lot connected to it and that people will always think of it.

I actually prefer Daedelus and his nephew's name Perdix or his other son Iapyx. (name wise I mean)

Iapyx was a favourite of Apollo. The god wanted to confer upon him the gift of prophecy, the lyre, etc.; but Iapyx, wishing to prolong the life of his father, preferred the more tranquil art of healing to all the others.

Perdix was the grandson of Athena and nephew of Daedalus. Walking on the seashore, he picked up the spine of a fish, or a serpent's jaw. Imitating it, he took a piece of iron and notched it on the edge, and thus invented the saw. He put two pieces of iron together, connecting them at one end with a rivet, and sharpening the other ends, and made a pair of compasses. Daedalus was so envious of his nephew's accomplishments that he took an opportunity, when they were together one day on the top of a high tower, to push him off. But Athena, who favors ingenuity, saw him falling and arrested his fate by changing him into a bird called after his name, the Perdix (partridge). This bird does not build its nest in the trees, nor take lofty flights, but nestles in the hedges, and mindful of his fall, avoids high places
    Last edited by dantea; August 15th, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014