Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Parents' reaction to name - that went about how I expected

*sigh*

I knew it wasn't going to be received well, but at least it's over. My 4 year-old spilled the beans tonight on the baby's name and FIL's reaction was, "LINUS?! That's an AWFUL name. You can't be serious!" Um, yeah. *sigh* I have to keep in mind this is the same guy that gave me a list of about 10 names that he deemed "better" than Sylvia when he heard her name after she was born. MIL was at least diplomatic. She said, "Like Linus Pauling? It's... um... distinguished." I know they'll get over it, and it was about the exact reaction I expected, but I still feel deflated. Now to tell MY parents....
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

Linus Pauling is definitely distinguished. It's a strong, quirky name, offbeat but not odd. You've picked a winner. Ignore your parents. What matters is that you and your husband like the name.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I'd just remind them that they got to name their children, it's only fair that you should get to name yours.

They'll get over it. If you and your husband love the name and think that your son will love it too, that's all that matters.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James Alexander
    ♀ | Jane Anne Helen Caroline Phoebe Georgia Gwen Sylvie

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    They'll get over it. If you and your husband love the name and think that your son will love it too, that's all that matters.
    Ditto.

The only association I have with Linus is Linus van Pelt, which is an awesome association to have, I think. Linus is on our list. SO really wants to use it if we have boy/girl twins and name them Linus and Lucy.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey