Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with our multiple naming needs

Hello everybody,

I just signed up and I am ready to ask away.

We are expecting our first child together, most likely to be our last too. We have teen sons from previous relationships. Earlier on the pregnancy we decided to keep the baby's sex a delivery surprise and so far we've been very good at fighting temptation. This is partly why we are on the fence about our naming options, because we are considering names for both sexes.

If we have a son we are almost certain we will name him August. We are lost on the middle name department and would be happy to take some suggestions. Our options for male middle names are Rodney, Shane and Micah (family names). What do you think? He is rooting for August Rodney. I am partial towards August Micah.

Our girl name list is a bit more complex and already feels contrived. If we have a daughter, she will be the first female grandchild for both families. His family has 3 boys, mine has 9. Both grandmothers are clamoring for a bit of pink and deep down I am too. What our mothers do not know is that we want to incorporate their names into our child's name if she turns out to be a she.

His mother's name is Frances. My mother's name is Felicia. Since we are not crazy in love with their names as they are, initially we thought we could either use Francesca (instead of Frances) or Felicity (instead of Felicia). One or the other as a first name would be right up our alley. We truly love those names.

Then someone suggested using both names, either Felicity Frances or Felicity Francesca. He is on the fence about alliterative names but I do not mind it.

At this point we feel like we have too many ideas going on for a girl and very much lost for a boy's middle name. What are your thoughts?

As far as the girl name, if you're going to use both names, I think Felicity Francesca flows a lot more nicely like Felicity Frances. Felicity is a beautiful name and that would have my vote.

Some names that I think are nice as a middle name for August:

Owen
    Quinn
    James
    Jude
    Alexander
    Reid
    Ezra
    Dominic
    Cole
    Grant
    Griffin
    Riley
    Blake
    Nicholai

Out of the middle names you've already said you like, I personally prefer August Shane
    -Favorites-
    Etta . Evelyn . Hazel . Iris . Lilia . Lilith . Noelle . Rose . Ruby . Vera . Willow
    Connor . Evan . Ezra . Foster . Grey . Kieran . Rowan . Shane . Silas . Zane

- Top Picks -
    Willow Evelyn & Foster Grey

- Forever Missed -
    June 6, 2014
    Lily PrimroseIris Rhoswen

August Micah seems like the perfect option to me, if you can get your husband on board lol. Otherwise I'd suggest August Jude or August Seth.

As for your little girl ideas, I don't think the alliteration matters if you both love both names.
    So, Felicity Francesca would be my pick for a daughter.
    My second option would be to pick a girls name you love and use Francesca, which is stunning, as the sole middle name:
    Audrey Francesca, for example

Or even (Nora) Felicity Francesca, if you wouldn't mind a longer name!
    Lila Evelyn | Eamon Reid

If he wants Rodney and you want Micah, maybe you should compromise with Shane! I think August Shane sounds a bit better than August Micah. Those last two names are just so different in style & origin to me. But it's still a nice name.

Since you are considering alternate versions/similar names for the females you want to honor, could you consider that with the males? Example, August Royden (anagram of Rodney), August Makai (variation of Micah/Michael, so identical meaning), August Ian (variation of Shane/John, so identical meaning).

I think Felicity Frances is cute. Felicity Francesca is a bit of a mouthful. You might also consider:

Felicity Frania (FRAWN-yuh, a variation of Frances)
    Felicity Franka (FRAWNK-uh, like the actress Franka Pontente)

Congratulations!

Alliterative names are fine (as long as it's not the first and surnames). I adore either Felicity Francesca or Francesca Felicity!