Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    I think there are two different definitions of trendy, honestly. There's the bad trendy, which are made-up names, a lot of times throwing together popular sounds (like Tayleigh! Or Braylen! Or Zadyn! You get the picture. Totally ridiculous, don't age well, and they are very hard to take seriously, imo.). Names like Mackenzie, Bentley, and Nevaeh and all the aiden names (some of which are legitimate, like Aidan, Jadon, Braden, Hayden, and Peyton) are also thrown into this category. And then there are the super popular names that have been around forever, like Isabella, Emma, Sophia, Olivia, Hannah, Ava, Lily, etc. Are they trendy? Yes. Of course. They're in-style and they're well loved, and sure, a lot of people get tired of them, but they're still beautiful names, and if I was being born in 2013, I'd much rather be an Isabella than a Tayleigh or a Kinzliegh! Sure, some people may be really tired of Isabella. It's super popular. I can understand why. But I don't think it fits in the category of bad-trendy at all.

Perhaps you'd like Isabelle, if you're worried about popularity? I feel like Isabelle has all the same richness and femininity that Isabella has, but it's much less popular (last year it ranked 126, which is, I believe, 123 points lower than Isabella. There were over 18,000 Isabellas born last year, but less than 2,500 Isabelles. That's a huge difference. I feel like people are always going to lump Isabelle and Isabella together, because they're so similar, but oh, well. To me, they are different. Maybe it's because Isabelle's my top choice for a girl, and while I still really like Isabella, I don't love it as much as I love Isabelle. I'm all for someone using a popular name if they really love it, though, and Isabella Katherine Lu is lovely!

Good luck!
    I agree with all of this as well! Trendy doesn't have to mean bad. I think unique vintage names are a trend, double middles in America is a trend, nature & word names are trending...all of these are trends that I love and have even participated in so popular doesn't mean bad.

This comment also brings up the point that Isabella has many variants, from Isabelle which is simple & sophisticated, Isobel which feels a bit more reaching to be, and spelling variations like Izabela or Issabella perhaps. Than there's stuff like Isadora & Isabeau or Annabella or Maribel. So this adds to the amount of Izzys & Bellas & Bells that you might be coming in contact with. I'm not trying to put you off of the name, it's just something to consider. I think it's classic, as I said before.

I named my daughter Isabella. I absolutely love it. I second guessed myself at the beginning of this pregnancy with my second daughter because it's SUCH a hard name to beat. It's beautiful, classic and has many options for nicknames. I say do it.

I do know I've heard the name several times and have DD in a class with another Isabella. Having a very *un* popular name growing up which was mispronounced constantly was very hard on me. Phoebe. I decided not to put that on my daughter and am having the hardest time finding a name for her sister. Due in September.

Twilight made me like the name even more. It's timeless. If you are worried about popularity, give her a middle name that isn't popular. That's what I did.

Isabelle was my favorite girls name ever since I was little and also has a family connection to Elizabeth for me as well. I am shocked at Isabella's meteoric rise up the charts. I have since found other less overused favorites, but Isabelle will always be special, my first name love! I would go with Isabelle/Isabel personally, b/c it seems more classic than Isabella, I agree with pp's they have different feels. Also I would say names ending in or containing Ella, which is quite popular itself or use Ella as a nn (Eleanor, Eloise, Elena etc.) are more a part of a megatrend than a name ending in bel/le (Mirabel, Annabel). My favorite variant is the Scottish Isobel.
    Last edited by kashed22; August 14th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.