Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your first job

I was very lucky to graduate just before the economy went south...2 months isn't long at all especially right now!

I had interviews the week I graduated and was offered my first job the week after.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    Just wondering, those of you that did a degree - how long after graduating did it take you to find work?
    Sorry to say I graduated in 2008 (with a good degree) and am still looking. I went back to college to do another A level course just for something to do. Only been able to get work experience or unpaid internships.*

I'm geographically challenged though. All the jobs in publishing are down south. I am up north and probably doomed to stay here. If I was born in London I'd probably have a job by now.

* Relevant to-my-degree jobs this is. I have worked on a farm, in a pub, at a supermarket and in a shop during those years. And one year I spent recovering from an illness.
    Last edited by renrose; August 13th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I had my job lined up a few months before I graduated but when that job ended (it was an overseas position and only lasted a year), it took me about six months to get another full time position. So no, I don't think two months is that long. That being said, I think your parents are right in that you should be applying for a job a day, or at least a few a week. Even if it's not your dream job (or even in your field) at least it would be a job. Plus, it looks better on your resume if you don't have long stretches where you're not working. Even having a part-time, temp or seasonal position for the next few months will make you look much more motivated and hard working, which are traits that employers are always seeking. For the months that I didn't have a full-time job, I did both part-time and temp work and one of those temp jobs ended up giving me valuable work experience that helped me to get hired at another job years later.

I'm sure it depends on your degree and the amount of experience you're able to claim, but most of the people I know that have only a bachelor's degree have ended up working in retail or food service due to a complete lack of jobs (at least if you're in the US). The only ones I know who were able to find something in their field immediately following graduation (say, within 6 months), were people who were already well connected via their parents or expensive private high schools. It does seem like most of my friends who have completed higher levels of education (master's or doctorate) have found jobs much more quickly, but they are mostly in science/research. Don't lose heart, you'll find something, but I do recommend finding something to keep you busy and bring in a bit of cash until you find something in your field - it might save your sanity! Good luck
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

I had to have an internship my senior year for credits to graduate. Luckily the company kept me after graduation. This really helped to build my resume. I was a business major so there were more jobs in my area for my field. I know a lot of my friends who were Education or History majors that had it tough finding a job and ended up moving out of state. Some places you might check with are your school's Graduate Services Dept., Career Service Dept. or the Alumni Dept., they are all a good source of networking. Also, get on Linked-In and get your name out there, & link-in with people in your field.