Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first job

Your first job

Ladies, I need your help. I graduated in June, have had one failed job interview and now my parents are on my case about me applying for more positiions at least once a day, and it's doing my head in. It's only been two months, and I've been away for three weeks of that time anyway, and there's honestly not a lot out there in my field, even less that I'm able to do as a new graduate.

Just wondering, those of you that did a degree - how long after graduating did it take you to find work? And for those you who didn't do one, how long did it take after leaving high school/wherever to be employed? I need to prove to my parents that two months isn't a long time really, not enough to warrent all their nagging anyway.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Well DH worked at a gas station for about 4 months until he found a 'real' job. I got a job right away, but as a teacher didn't actually start getting paid (or working) for 3 or so months. I think in this economy, too, it's even longer realistically. My sister just graduated and hasn't found anything yet.
    Caity
    Mom of Violet Isabelle, George Quincy, & Mae Elizabeth
    In the process of adopting #4 from Haiti.
    Current Favorites:
    . Ruby Madeleine . Felicity Catherine . Beatrice Claire . Robin Marie .
    . Harvey Leopold . Albert Darcy . Ralph Montgomery . Edgar Willoughby .

I'm in the same boat as you, @essjay. I graduated in early May, had several interviews but no offers, and finally took a seasonal position working in a warehouse which I start this week. Not looking forward to it but it will bring in some money until I find something else.

My ex took 6 months to find a job after graduation, and I know some people who have taken longer (also a lucky few who got jobs right away, but...). An old friend got a degree in library science two years ago and still hasn't found work, but I don't know what her deal is. Of course, we're all in the US, but two months isn't a long time either way. It can take a while.

Don't let one failed interview get in your head, though. My second professional interview was HORRIBLE, and I mean I went out to my car and cried in the parking lot like a crazy person horrible. It starts to get to you after months of resumes and interviews and not getting hired, but you have to remember, it's not a reflection on you. It's a reflection on the terrible job market. Keep your head up and if you ever need to rant, shoot me a PM, I can relate.
    k♥m
    mid-20s. grad student at AU.
    Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrix · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo

Ess, in London the average time to get a job for a person graduating from university is about six months, just so you know. I don't know what it's like in the rest of England though.

I might've lucked out, I was hired half way through my mPhil. I had work experience though, I worked three days a week at Harrods throughout my five years of studying fine arts at Chelsea.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Cheers ladies, those responses are making me feel a bit better, that my situation is a pretty standard one to be in.

Ottilie, thanks for that statistic. I'm from London, so that 6 months does apply to me.

Greyer, think I might have to go for seasonal positions if I don't get anything in the next couple of months, I'm back living at home but the money is beginning to run out.

Caitypete, yeah I blame the economy. Darn bankers messing it all up for us *tuts*

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George