Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Are William and Marian too similar for siblings?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 25.00%
  • No

9 75.00%

Do William and Marian look too similar?

I've been trying to think of a first name to go with the middle name Theophania. Mary is currently one of the front-runners, but Marian popped in my head this morning, and now I'm kind of loving Marian Theophania. My one hesitation is that our son's name is William, and I don't really like the fact that they share an "ia" in the same exact position. Am I being too picky about that? (Lillian was also briefly under consideration, but that's definitely too close to William.)
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar and Catherine "Cate" Ophelia
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I see the "an" in Marian Theophania as much as the "ia" in William and Marian. I'm also more prone to say William and Mary because they were the British sovereigns and it's the name of a university in the US. However, although it's a bit matchy in sound I do think Marian is much preferable to Lillian for sure. Will Marian be going by a nn? I see by your signature that you like Catherine as well. You can't help it if you have an affinity for certain sounds, can you?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    I see the "an" in Marian Theophania as much as the "ia" in William and Marian. I'm also more prone to say William and Mary because they were the British sovereigns and it's the name of a university in the US. However, although it's a bit matchy in sound I do think Marian is much preferable to Lillian for sure. Will Marian be going by a nn? I see by your signature that you like Catherine as well. You can't help it if you have an affinity for certain sounds, can you?
    Indeed.

The repeating "an" doesn't bother me as much as the "ia" for some reason. And, seriously, it's getting annoying because I'm loving -ian names paired up Theophania! Vivian is another one I love. I suppose I could go with Marianne or Vivienne, but since Theophania is so frilly, I'm preferring more streamlined spellings like Marian, Vivian, Lillian, Isabel (rather than Isabelle), Juliet (rather than Juliette), etc. If we do chose Mary/Marian, her nickname would probably be Mimi, but that's not set in stone. (Now that I think of it, Mimi might be a little too close to Liam as well...)
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar and Catherine "Cate" Ophelia
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I really don't think they are too similar, and I'm also with you about the Marianne vs. Marian spelling with Theophania (which, by the way, is incredibly cool), but I am a fan of Mary Theophania, just because I love the contrast between the lengths of the names being so defined, both written down and spoken. To be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with either, as they are both such good options - good luck deciding!