Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Namefan - Ahh ok. I don't really spend a lot of time on the SSA website, I was just going off what I've seen from US bloggers. They all seem to say that girls are given a wider variety of names whilst boys just tend to get the popular names. Had a bit of a dig (I've only just seen the 'number of births' feature on the SSA site. D'oh) and you're right. Very interesting!
    Actually, after I took a look at the British lists myself, it's the Americans who have somewhat reversed the traditional pattern - when I looked at the spreadsheets for E&W the boys still outnumber the girls even at the top rankings. Did you look at the lists wrong?

Oh no, Celeste has cracked the top 1000! :-(

Funny that there were 10 Junipers in 2012 and 2011!
    ~ Mama to Juniper and expecting Arlo at the end of May ~

Beautiful Firsts with Family Middles:
    ~ Calypso Susannah "Callie"- Beatrice Winona "Bliss" - Clementina Maybelle "Minnie" - Tallulah Rosalie "Lula" ~
    (Pearl - Celeste - Coralie - Delphine)

~ Zephyr Joseph Yeats - Nathaniel Arthur Miles ~

Quote Originally Posted by namefan View Post
    Actually, after I took a look at the British lists myself, it's the Americans who have somewhat reversed the traditional pattern - when I looked at the spreadsheets for E&W the boys still outnumber the girls even at the top rankings. Did you look at the lists wrong?
    Haha, probably. I'm totally confusing myself. I had loads of Excel spreadsheets open and I was doing a load of numbercrunching at the time. Yeah, top boy names still outnumber girls (might be something to do with the fact there are a lot more boys born than girls each year?) But when you compare the top names of the last few years, fewer boys are being given top 10 names but more girls have started being given top 10 names. So no, we're not quite at the same stage as the US yet but it'll be interesting to see if that's where we're headed.
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

I have no idea where all these baby Jessica's are either!

I've had a look at the popularity of my favourite names, and am a bit surprised how many of them were given to fewer than 100 babies in 2012 (absolutely no babies called Graeme for example, and only 13 called Graham). I thought most of the names were pretty familiar, but I suppose my perception's a bit skewed from frequenting naming sites on a regular basis. Or maybe they're just not in style right now. I did get a few top 100 names though, and even a top 10 in William, so I'm pretty all over the place!

My top 10 girls' names;
    Megan - 41st (1,388 births)
    Hannah -42nd (1,357 births)
    Evelyn - 57th (1,034 births)
    Tabitha - 181st (283 births)
    Ophelia - 406th (115 births)
    Astrid - 607th (69 births)
    Sylvia - 844th (45 births)
    Lorna - 887th (42 births)
    Hester - 1,253rd (26 births)
    Elara - 4,838th (4 births)

My top 10 boys' names;
    William - 9th (4,590 births)
    Tobias - 128th (486 births)
    Andrew - 153rd (387 births)
    Peter - 184th (311 births)
    Martin - 259th (183 births)
    Rupert - 268th (176 births)
    Alistair - 405th (100 births)
    Hamish - 450th (88 births)
    Leopold - 1,589th (15 births)
    Graeme - N/A (0 births)
    Last edited by novaberry; August 13th, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion