Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    If it's Top 25, it's too far gone for me. If it's Top 26-50, I have to love it. Anything above Top 50 is fair game, even though I'd prefer it be Top 200+, or not on the list at all.

I know a lot of people think even Top 100 is high, but I think of it like this: my name was #43 the year I was born, and it has been in the Top 100 for the last 30 years. I have met maybe ten people with my name, and only one was born the same year. Only one goes by the same nickname, spelled the same way, and none of them are part of my everyday life. On top of that, my name has many variants, much like Elizabeth - Eliza, Liza, Beth, Lizzie, Ellie, etc. - and I have only met a few more women with one of those variant names. I have never felt like my name was odd, or really popular. I used to think Top 100 was way too popular, until this realization put everything into perspective and allowed me to expand my horizons a bit more. Most of the names I love tend to be in the 600-1000+ range, but I will allow myself some leeway. One of my favorite boy names right now, Wyatt, is #41, and I won't beat myself up about it.

Also, maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I'm pickier with girl names. A boy name at #75 probably wouldn't make me flinch, but girl names tend to fluctuate more, so I'm warier about trends and names gaining popularity, shooting up and flaring out quickly.

I don't consider anything in the top 200. It's better if it's 400+ or not even on the chart.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron (May '09) and Linus Roman (born 08.21.13)
    Other favorites:
    Ladies: Fiala Joan · Alma · Miriam · Claudia · Tabitha · Helena · Linnea · Vivian
    Gents: Felix Simon · Arthur · Malcolm · Desmond · Theodore · Jasper
    · Dexter · Phillip
    Guilty Pleasures: Lyric · Echo · Hero · Juno/Juniper · Lark · Wren · Fox · Zephyr · Vesper
    · Loki

With one daughter with a name not in the top 1000 (only given to 8 girls the year she was born), I am also looking for a non top-1000 name for another daughter. With a son, it is a little different. I wouldn't mind something that is in the top 1000, but definitely don't want something too popular.

As for popularity in my area, I usually check the SSA mega list for my state to see how many were born with that name. Some names are definitely more popular in America than they are in my state.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana born 8/6/10
    Expecting Girl #2 Saela Eliza due 7/12/14

I prefer names that aren't on the top 1000 at all. I wouldn't drop a name from my list unless it entered the top 100.

I also wouldn't use a name I'd heard often even if out wasn't on the top 1000.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by axps123 View Post
    Also, maybe it's because I'm a girl, but I'm pickier with girl names. A boy name at #75 probably wouldn't make me flinch, but girl names tend to fluctuate more, so I'm warier about trends and names gaining popularity, shooting up and flaring out quickly.
    so am i! i'd be much quicker to use a more popular boys name than a more popular girls name. & that's probably exactly why. i think there's a lot more classic boys in the top 100 than classic girls.

cma. furmom. music junkie. hippy. name nerd.