Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

When can you find out the gender of your baby?

Hello Berries,

Yesterday, I found out I was expecting. This is my first baby, so I have many many questions! One of my major questions -- when can I find out the gender of the baby? Some people say that if the baby is positioned right, then you can find out as early as 13 weeks. Others say you can't find out until 20 weeks.

From your personal experiences, when did you find out the gender of your child? Thank you! : )
    --Carla
    Mommy to Eva Lily Catherine, b. 1/31/2014

My sister raves about her OB because he does an ultrasound each month or something (he's also my gyn so he'll be my OB when I have kids, but I'm not there yet so idk how it all goes), which I guess is less commonly done. He could tell the sex at 14 weeks.

My other friends/family go to different OBs and most of theirs never give more than three ultrasounds for the entire pregnancy, and they can only find out the sex at 20 weeks, never earlier. It's weird cause my sister is 14 weeks along right now and knows its a girl and she has friends that are further along whose doctors are telling them it's still too early to see.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

You typically find out at your 20 wk ultrasound, which is done between 18-22 weeks.

However, one of the early chromosomal screenings, I believe the materniTI21, but I'm not sure, can tell you at 12 weeks. It's fairly reliable and can tell if baby is definitely a boy or most likely a girl.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

I found out around 18 weeks, when I went in for my 20 week ultrasound.

An Amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling (CVS) can also tell the gender but these are generally reserved for situations where there could be a genetic disorder or chromosomal abnormality.

Before 18 weeks, the organs of a boy and girl tend to appear similar so it can be very, very difficult to accurately guess the gender.

If you get an ultrasound between 12 and 12 weeks, people can guess the gender based on the nub theory, but I wouldn't take that as truth, more as a fun way to guess until you can actually see the gender shot at an ultrasound.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Like pp said, MaterniT21 can detect presence of Y chromosome way early (10 or 12 weeks?).

Ultrasound, I also know plenty of people who found out at 13-14 weeks, most were correct, but a few got a guess that turned out to be wrong at a later scan. My tech at 13 weeks told me it would be a total guess at that point and I found out at the 20 week scan.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13