Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help from parents and in-laws

How close by are your parents & partner's parents?
    How much childcare help or financial help do they provide?
    Do they help more of less than you assumed that they would?

Sadly, my answers would be
    An hour/30 minutes
    The occasional date night, but not even once per month/$0
    I'm very surprised that they aren't more involved which is what made me curious enough to post these questions!!

I don't have a baby yet, but when we do...

My husband's parents live ten minutes away. When we have a baby, I'm sure they will help out a lot. Unfortunately, my parents live in another city, so they can't help out as much as they'd like to (but will likely visit often). I don't expect my in-laws will provide us with financial help (and we don't need them to), but I do expect they will do a lot of babysitting! My husband's sister has a ten-month-old and they take care of her all the time. They love spending time with her!
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

My parents live about an hour away and my in-laws live about four hours away.

Since they're so close, my parents come by once a week to see the baby (she's six months) and have watched her a hand full of times so that we could go on dates/appointments/etc. Sometimes I run errands when they visit but other times we all just sit around and chat. They don't provide any financial help and quite frankly I'd be mortified if they did. If you need outside financial help, then you shouldn't be having kids in the first place.

Do they help more of less than you assumed that they would?
    They help out the amount I assumed they would. I knew my parents would be able to help out more since they're closer but whenever we visit my in-laws, they always offer to watch the baby so that my husband and I can go out.

We aren't quite ready to start a family, but our plan is:

About an hour for both sets

Occasional - date nights, other occasions. Probably once every two weeks, maybe a little more frequently. Financially, we stand on our own two feet. I'm not sure if you are saying you expect financial help/gifts from your parents or in laws, but I don't think it's a good idea, and it certainly can't be expected.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate

My parents are a 5 hour flight away. DH's parents are both deceased.
    When my parents visit, they take kids to do fun things all the time, but we have one special needs kiddo, so we don't really have them babysit. Financially there have been a few occasions when unforeseen disasters (health/emergency related) of one sort or another struck and they helped out some. Not at all a regular thing though.
    My parents are wonderful grandparents. DH's parents weren't involved even when they were around and closer by than my parents. My parents maintain a great relationship through skype, surprise packages, phone calls, and even from afar, are a great presence in our kids' lives.