Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Remorse

Name Remorse

My lovely daughter arrived on June 3. As soon as my husband and I found out we were expecting a girl, we chose the name Alice Helena Everett and that is what we named her. But along the way, I also fell in love with the name Saoirse after meeting a number of babies named Alice. My husband likes it, too, but on the day of her birth we couldn't get past the spelling-not-linked-to-pronunciation issue. I can't get the name out of my mind, though, and I don't think I can convince my husband that we should have a fourth child (we are also parents to Henry Oliver and George Parker), and that child of course could be a boy. So should I change her name? Thoughts?

No. It should be her choice at this point (e.g., if she initiates an interest in changing her name, support her). While Saoirse is lovely, it's still a difficult name for most Americans to comprehend, and a lot to ask your child to handle, especially when she already has a perfectly lovely name.

Personally, I like both names in the vintage pairing Alice Helena and I think Henry, George and Alice are perfection together. Saoirse is a modern Irish name that means "freedom" so it's more like a political statement rather than a name with depth and history. I would think it would also run into pronunciation as well as spelling problems in the US. I don't think you should change her name. Alice Everett is lovely and the name sounds like a writer or artist to my ears.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Alice is such a beautiful and classic name- I wouldn't change a thing!
    Proud mama to L. and S.E.R.

*Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Snow/ Adelaide Clover/Annabelle Violet/
    Wesley Rohan/ Hugo Phelan/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Caius Grey*

Alice Everett is so beautiful! Oh I wish I had a name like that

Even though you have met a few little Alices, the name isn't very popular. What about changing her middle name to Saoirse, if you really want to include it?