Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Baby Shower for #2

Hi guys! So I thought I would throw this question out there and see what responses I got. I think you ladies are all so smart and lovely that I will get some excellent advice

I am currently 15w 4d pregnant with our second. Our first is 5 and a half, will be 6 years old by the time this baby arrives.

We are now getting to the time in my pregnancy where we are having to think about baby gear. As a result of the large age gap, we have very few baby items left from my son-- some clothes, really is all. We gave away much of our other items- crib, swing, etc, and some of it (car seats, for example) are old enough that safety standards have changed. My husband has said we should wait to buy anything until after the shower, and was surprised when I stated that I may not be thrown one because this is the second baby, regardless of the age gap.

So my questions are these- 1) do you think that it is likely someone will throw me a shower? I feel awkward just coming out and asking family if they are planning on throwing one for me.... Tht seems rude. And 2) if someone offers to throw me a shower is it appropriate to let them? I don't want people thinking that I am just grubbing for gifts again....

I just want to know what everyone's thoughts and opinions are on this. Because if it is likely that I won't get a second shower, or its would be rude to have one, then I want to start buying baby things now to spread out the cost!

Thanks in advance ladies!!
    *~*Proud Mommy Of Evan Alexzander*~*

Currently Loving:
    Girls- Alice, Laurel, Hazel, Josephine, Clara, Emmeline, Penelope
    Boys- Dexter, Everett, Levi, Felix, Emmett, Jasper, Rhys, Declan

I think a shower for your first is completely acceptable, and showers for subsequent children are always viewed in my eyes as tacky "gift grabs" unless you are a single parent, have moved to a new town or live under the poverty line & people want to "help you out". Your family and close friends will probably bring you a few gifts for the baby but I definitely wouldn't expect a shower.
    New username is @ truenature

I think it depends somewhat on where you live and how those things are typically handled. I've seen several people on here talk about how they find second baby showers abhorrent, but where I love it is *very* common to have a shower for every child, and so I wouldn't give a second thought to hearing that someone was having one.

That being said, I probably wouldn't ask your family if they were planning on throwing you one as it comes off as a little pushy, but I don't think you have to accept or decline one if offered.

Quote Originally Posted by rookachoo View Post
    Hi guys! So I thought I would throw this question out there and see what responses I got. I think you ladies are all so smart and lovely that I will get some excellent advice

I am currently 15w 4d pregnant with our second. Our first is 5 and a half, will be 6 years old by the time this baby arrives.

We are now getting to the time in my pregnancy where we are having to think about baby gear. As a result of the large age gap, we have very few baby items left from my son-- some clothes, really is all. We gave away much of our other items- crib, swing, etc, and some of it (car seats, for example) are old enough that safety standards have changed. My husband has said we should wait to buy anything until after the shower, and was surprised when I stated that I may not be thrown one because this is the second baby, regardless of the age gap.

So my questions are these- 1) do you think that it is likely someone will throw me a shower? I feel awkward just coming out and asking family if they are planning on throwing one for me.... Tht seems rude. And 2) if someone offers to throw me a shower is it appropriate to let them? I don't want people thinking that I am just grubbing for gifts again....

I just want to know what everyone's thoughts and opinions are on this. Because if it is likely that I won't get a second shower, or its would be rude to have one, then I want to start buying baby things now to spread out the cost!

Thanks in advance ladies!!
    Let me start off by saying that I am planning to have a shower for each of my children. I told myself that if nobody throws me one, then I'll throw myself one... I do not agree with the PP saying that a shower for subsequent children is "tacky". Everyone has their own opinion, but I do believe that it isn't terrible to throw a shower for #2 and beyond. Just my opinion.

That being said, it can come across as rude if you straight up ask someone to throw you a shower. It isn't tacky to throw yourself one, trust me. During her second pregnancy, my sister threw herself a baby shower. There really is nothing wrong with it.

If someone offers to throw you one, it is out of the goodness of their heart and you should accept it.

Hope this helps, and congrats on your pregnancy!
    Sincerely, Jennifer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Momma to one little princess, Finley Makiya (7.27.13)

"Titi" (aunt) to Emily-Marie Gloria and Nicholas Alexander

Generally showers are only for the first. I didn't have one for my second and I'm not expecting one for this baby either. I would start buying what you need to spread out the cost. While I think it depends on your area and family if its ok to have a second shower I still think its not common.