Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    @lexiem
    I have had two boston terriers and a pitbull. One boston I grew up with and he was my best friend I even asked for him when I was sick in the hospital. He was great with us kids we were about 6,2, and 1 when we got him. He killed a gopher when I was about 14 and it freaked me out but only because he wanted to bring it in the house. He lived to be about 15 yrs old and we put him down when he was just too old to be comfortable. The second boston I had I rescued and they said he was good with other dogs and he wasn't. He was jealous of our other dogs who we had already had for years. So after trying for about a year where he made big improvements with the other dogs I decided it was best to give him to an close family friend who was home all day and who had no other pets. He was so much happier. He was still fine with my kids though.
    Pitbulls take a lot of care and you really have to know the right way to take care of them and train them. You can never hit a pitbull and they are more likely to be DOG aggressive. Do a lot of research and maybe even take a training class for specific to pitbulls. They can be amazing dogs. But you need to know what you are doing without a doubt to make sure your dog is safe and your family is. I gave our pitbull to another family who has experience with bullys because DH is in the military and we cant have her on base. I have a handful of friends that have pitbulls and IF raised responsibly they are great dogs. The dog in the little rascals was a pitbull.

What type of game is your hubby planning on hunting? GSP are the top choice for an all around hunter here, Brittanys are a close second (I would pick a Brit for a family over a GSP, they are much softer in temperament). My personal choice is an English setter, I love the silly buggers
    Coraline "Corey", Georgiana "Georgie", Cecilia "Cici", Guinevere "Gwen", Rosamond "Rozz"

Everett "Rhett", Quentin "Quinn", Cornelius "Coren", Cormac "Mac", Heath

I have a German Shepherd or my parents do, but I still live at home so! German Shepherds are working dogs so they're often quite busy, love open space; but then again ours is X Border Collie. She's incredibly loving, playful and a tad naughty. She's not very fond of babies, particularly my younger relatives and my parents don't really encourage people taking babies outside, because she just gets over excited. Once babies begin walking our dog virtually adopts them, she becomes incredibly protective and loving, in fact if they cry she get frantic (because she believes you've upset the baby.) But like all dogs, she doesn't like kids coming near her when she's eating or touching things that are "hers." I second what was mentioned early about Collies going a bit loop-dee loo, Dizzie (our dog) is slowly losing her marbles in old age, she just incredibly hyper especially in regards to fireworks, neighbours etc. I love her dearly; but I think getting older and not being worked enough has made her crazily bored.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

@hootowl -> Thanks for your advice. Yeah we are definitely planning on training classes - and plan on reading a library's worth of training books and the like before adopting. It's actually a prefect compromise right now - as well can't adopt pets in the building we live in and would only do so once we move. So it gives us - well mostly him - something to do while pinning for his dog. I've grown up with too many friends who didn't know who to train dogs and where the dog just ended up on a chain outside to ever want that to be my dog. (The flip side my friend inherited the best trained dog ever -> swear to god she would run on the sidewalk when we rode our bikes in the street and check for cars before crossing.)
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I just wanted to say that I just got a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. This breed has a lot of soft hair but they don't shed. This breed has the nickname of Sweetie Wheaties. The tend to be from 30-50 pounds so they are a nice medium sized dog. The breeder I got my dog from raises the puppies with her kids. This is sometimes a huge plus so if you can find it go for it. Every time we bring our pup out people who have one of the own always tell us what great dogs they are and my aunt who grooms dogs says that this will be her next breed because of how great they are. I don't have children right now but we will probably start trying in the next year.

I think that with whatever dog you end up with the most important thing is to just train it right and well. Training is the key to having a dog who is loving and obedient. Training takes a long time but it will all be worth it in the end.

Here is some information on Wheatens...
    "The soft coated wheaten terrier breed is an active one. Wheatens love to run, jump, play and act like a puppy. They will do this for their entire lives. If you prefer a dog that will site idly by while you sit around the house then the wheaten is not the dog for you. They do enjoy rest and will nap frequently, however, when awake, the wheaten loves to play and bounce around your home. They love company, family and exercise. If you prefer a more distant pet, the wheaten may not be the breed for you. However, if you love an energetic breed with high intelligence and loyalty then the SCWT is the breed for you.

Wheatens are extremely intelligent, which is of course a double edged sword when it comes to dogs. The wheaten can be taught almost anything, but they can be stubborn. They generally do not bark a lot and do not shed. If you have allergies and are looking for a great hypoallergenic dog, then wheatens may be your breed. They do however require grooming to keep their coat from getting knotted."
    TTC Baby #1
    My Teddy Bear (aka my puppy): Rufus (4-24-13)
    Maeve-Keira-Gwen-Eve-Adeline-Claire-Arianne-Lila-Elsa-Cosima-Elowen-Anna-Lena-Cassia-Faye-Liana-Piper-Violet-Lelia-Cleo-Nina-Carys

Rhys-Owen-Cillian-Miles-Ronan-Lorcan-Finn-Graham-Kai-Jack-Ian-Declan-Cullen-Emmett-Lucas-Cormac-Archer-George-Alexander

GP: Perseus-Hamish-Mason-Shep-Cassian-Asa-Lavender-Elula-Winter-Mireille-Ophelie-Azalea