Names Searched Right Now:

Advice on an honor name???

Hi there! I was hoping for some advice from all you name experts out there

Shortly before my daughter was born my grandma Rosa passed away, and my mom asked me if I would consider naming the baby after her. My husband and I had already decided on a name that we loved, and didn't want to change it but we also thought that it would be lovely to honor my grandmother in some special way. We are Jewish, and it is very common in our community for children to be given 2 names (a secular name to go on the birth certificate and to be used on an everyday basis, as well as a Hebrew name to be used for ceremonial purposes and while attending religious school). So we opted to keep our previously chosen name as her secular name, and then give her the name Shoshana (hebrew for Rose) as her religious name.

Now that I am expecting baby #2, we thought it would be sweet if we could continue that tradition by giving this child a secular name that we love, and then honoring a relative through the religious name. My husband really wants to honor his grandmother Myrtle, who was very important to him and who passed away last year. We decided that if this baby was a girl, we would go with the hebrew name Hadassah, which means myrtle tree. But as fate would have it, this baby is a boy! We don't plan on having any more children, so as far as naming goes this is probably our only chance to honor DH's grandma and we really don't have any male relatives that we want to name after. So we're really stuck on what to choose for the baby's religious name. I think we have more or less settled on Leo as the secular name, so we could always just go with Ari (hebrew for lion) but I'd really prefer to choose a name with a special meaning for his religious name, especially since we've done that with our first child.

Anybody at all familiar with hebrew names? I'd really appreciate any advice!

Hadas is a unisex name meaning Myrtle tree in Hebrew so that could be used. Leo Hadas works well I think.

If you don't like it then I can search other options, just let me know. Btw I think it's great that you're honouring family members!
    Last edited by hanbow; August 8th, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have seen this one as well. The thing is, even though Hadas is supposedly unisex, I've never heard it (or any form of Hadassah) used on anyone other than a girl. So I'm a bit hesitant to go that route.

Just as an FYI, the religious name wouldn't be used as a middle name. (The jury is still out on the middle... I'm leaning towards Montgomery, but haven't yet convinced DH!). The hebrew name would be a completely separate name, not listed on the birth certificate but rather given during a religious naming ceremony and used just for ceremonial purposes. The good new with that is we don't have to worry about the flow at all!

Ah right! Sorry I'm Christian so I didn't know that but it does take the pressure off! It has sentiment to you and it sounds masculine without the -a sound (IMO) so I would go for it! If you're not sure then Ari is a good option but I like the sentiment idea.

Leo Montgomery sounds lovely together I have to say! If not then here are some suggestions:
    Leo Walter
    Leo Chester
    Leo Evian
    Leo Barnaby

Good luck!

Hi, I found this on the web on Chabad.org :

"The name Hadassah is derived from the Hebrew word hadas (Heb. הדס), a myrtle tree from the Myrtaceae family. The myrtle has a pleasant fragrance. Rabbi Shmuel Eliezer Edels, known as Maharsha, explains that since “man is like a tree of the field" therefore the righteous are called myrtles, likened to a good tree with a pleasant smell.

The Talmud explains why Queen Esther was also called Hadassah:

Why was she called Hadassah? Because the righteous are called myrtles. As it states (Zechariah 1:8), “And he was standing among the myrtles [the righteous prophets Chananiah, Mishael and Azariah].”

Sooo you might consider Chananiah/Hananiah, Mishael or Azariah! My favorite is Mishael. Also you might consider a name with a meaning relating to righteousness if that is something myrtle represents in Judaism, something such as Zadok, etc.

Or, you might consider choosing a Hebrew name with some other connection, and giving baby a middle name such as Myren, Mychal, etc., to bring to mind his grandmother's name.

Congratulations to you!