Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Yep, I started a thread! So far, most people don't pronounce it the way I prefer to. Coupled with the fact that I'm technically pronouncing it incorrectly myself in order to love it, I think the name has become too contrived and diffiicult for further consideration :-(

The same thing happened with Sundari Rose. I don't mind altering spelling a bit if I like a name enough, but pronouncing it wrong in order to love it is just a bit much.

A similar thing happened to me for the name Shailu. Husband insists he woul dpronounce it Shah-loo instead of shay-loo.

I am just not finding a viable name that I'm in love with and meets my criteria. I have to hope that I will fall in love with whatever I name my daughter because it will be HER name, so I don't have to be in love with it beforehand.

I did a quick search on Indian names now and I found some lovely names like Anila, Devika, Amita, Ananda, Parvati, Indra, Kalpana, Lilavati, Lavanya, Malini, Nila. I think all these names would be pretty straight-forward when it comes to pronunciation, but maybe I'm wrong. You could go with something like Parvati Jane, Amita Diana, Malini Audrey, Lavanya Claire.

I do like your naming approach, except I disagree with #3 of your MN criteria.

I am Indian-American (Indian ancestry, born and raised in California), and I'm not sure what my naming criteria/approach is. I'm "drawn" to more female "American" or more correctly, Western names, because of my education and the books I read, but then I am a Hindu so I'd like to use a name with some religious element perhaps. Oddly, I like a lot of Indian boy's names, but not so many girl's names.

If you're using an Indian name, I'd use a short one. I think when people see a long Indian name, it intimidates them and they'll stumble on the pronunciation even if the name is phonic. That would be the issue with Ramayani, I believe.

I also made a list of "easy" Indian names (girl's names, in alphabetical order, are first); you may want to check it out: User List - Indian Names - Jyoti | Nameberry.com

I think your best chance is to share your short list with a couple of non biased people from both nationalities (no family) who can try to pronounce them & what comes to mind in their language. I like the idea of using one Indian & one English name so she has the freedom to choose. Also double check the initials to be sure that it doesn't spell something in either language.

What about Chanda, Devi, or Divya?

From Jyoti's list, I really like these for you:

Indira
    Avani
    Maya
    Amara
    Amaya
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey