Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do you Agree With My Naming Approach/Criteria?

Please give your opinion of my naming critieria and share your own.

We are having a daughter. I am American and my husband is North Indian and Hindu. We live in the USA.

Our criteria for a girl's first name is:

1. Not super trendy. No Aria, Arya, Aidan, Etc. Those are pretty names, but we don't want our daughter to be in the same class with another 2 girls who have the same name every year. If there are one or two other girls in the whole school with the same name, we would be fine with that. I don't mind names that are going out of style unless they are super common, like Jennifer, because in 30 years this will seem like an old lady's name.

2. Not overtly Indian and difficult to pronounce. Shilpa sounds cute to Indians, but to Americans it's an awkward or extremely unusual combination of sounds (and also extremely common in India).

3. Not too contrived. We don't want to westernize a traditional Hindu name too much unless the same spelling is used in India.

4. Not too obvious. We don't want to pick a name like Asha just because Americans are familiar with and can pronounce it easily. Asha is a beautiful name, but we aren't going for something just because Americans have heard of it.

5. It must be beautiful and represent each of us in some way.

6. Won't be confused with another more traditional name or the wrong gender all the time.

Middle name criteria:
    1. First and foremost, we have not found a family name that we want to use as a middle name, so we are going to use a name that goes well with the first name.

2. I feel that a middle name should be like a 2nd option for our daughter to use in case for some reason she dislikes her first name. So, for this reason the names should flow well together but have very different over all sounds/impressions. The more different the each sound from each other, the better.

3. I don't agree with the modern opinion that syllables need to be mismatched, or that the first and middle names can't start with the first letter. I'm very fond of music and look for musicality in a name. For example Ashlee Emilie sounds silly to me, whereas Ashley Anna is an improvement because the two names are very different in over all sound but flow together without too much redundancy. On the other hand, Tatum Troy is a hot mess because the letter "t" is what defines each name most so it ends up being over kill and choppy.

I think we all have specific criteria for picking a name. I see nothing wrong with your criteria.

My personal criteria for names my husband and I like are:

1. We love the name, we can see our child using that name.
    2. Spelling is a big deal for me, so it has to be spelled correctly.
    3. Middle names for me are important to honor family, my husband and I just want to honor family.

That's all that I can think of that is my criteria for choosing names I like.

Hmm...If you don't want to pick a name just b/c it's easy for us to pronounce/we've heard of it so I assume you want a unheard of name, why not Indian all over? Don't worry, we are used to different types of unusual, highly unusual, unheard of and distinct choices.
    And...do you have any names on the list?
    Victoria

Each magician has his own power sign...
    * Hector & Leontine
    ♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ are under transformation into heroes and queens!

Quote Originally Posted by mclevine View Post
    Hmm...If you don't want to pick a name just b/c it's easy for us to pronounce/we've heard of it so I assume you want a unheard of name, why not Indian all over? Don't worry, we are used to different types of unusual, highly unusual, unheard of and distinct choices.
    And...do you have any names on the list?

I am definitely considering a fully Indian name too. I created a list and made it public but I don't know how others can access it. Basically the name sets I am considering as of now are:

Diana Karthayini
    Audrey Annika
    Annika Belle
    Ramayani Rose (pron. ruh-maya-nee, rhymes with hermione)
    Shailu Dawn

I also like the name Hemani, but am concerned it is slightly too cutesy. There have been many names on the finalists list, also Sundari Rose, Marilu, and Shaili. Lately my favorites are Diana Karthayini and Ramayani Rose because they each have the western and Indian combo.
    Last edited by verminator; August 8th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtucker View Post
    I think we all have specific criteria for picking a name. I see nothing wrong with your criteria.

My personal criteria for names my husband and I like are:

1. We love the name, we can see our child using that name.
    2. Spelling is a big deal for me, so it has to be spelled correctly.
    3. Middle names for me are important to honor family, my husband and I just want to honor family.

That's all that I can think of that is my criteria for choosing names I like.
    I agree with spelling: nothing bugs me more than when somebody takes a traditional name and tried to modernize it by changing the spelling. I am also not opposed to completely invented names, as long as they are truly original but still approachable, and not just silly and immature.