Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I think Declan James is fantastic! It will probably increase in popularity, but I have never met one.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Um, Declan is hardly Jayden. or Behntlieghy. It's not even as popular as your daughter's name. It's a great name, and people are noticing it, sure, and it's quite in-style here (as opposed to being dated in the UK), but it's not trendy, by any means, and not every popular name is trendy. I would love to meet a Declan. I think it's fab. I would even love to have a Declan, although I'm not sure I love it enough to use it. And I'm pretty sure it's a Nameberry fave, so I wouldn't worry too much. Declan's a great name, and Nora and Declan are great together.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Complete ditto regarding Nora and Declan being great together.

Sure, it's grown a lot in popularity but until the last year or two, it's risen pretty steadily. It does have the potential to become a top 100 name but I doubt it'll ever become a top 10 name.

I've recently started to love Declan and Declan James is a fantastic combo.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I LOVE the name Declan - was even under consideration for this one, but hubby wasn't keen.

I'd be a little concerned with it's current rise in popularity - but at the same time I really can't see it getting to top 10 status or anything like that, so i'd still use it if it was the name I really wanted.
    Mummy of One:

Dominic Jameson: 3rd November 2013

Hey. I feel exactly the way you do about names. I want something familiar and traditional but somewhat "off the beaten path" and NOT trendy or overused. My favorite right now is Seamus, but I'm afraid it's too uncommon & (stupid) people will react poorly to the name. I actually think I'd be more comfortable if it were in the "Declan Zone" - meaning it is somewhat more known but not terribly common. I agree that Declan is obviously a name that's picking up speed (especially online), but my guess is that it will never be top 50.

One note - I've seen on other forums that there is a character named Declan on a CW show. I don't see why that would be a total deal breaker, but it is probably contributing to why this name is becoming more trendy. Unfortunately, a CW show is probably not the most sophisticated reference.

All in all, it is a lovely name. (Also, sorry if I found snobby about names).

Best of luck!

I see Declan around a lot when on sites where you have a lot of "name nerds." I haven't heard it on a child yet in my real life.

That said, I personally dislike this name a lot. Not sure why I feel that way, but it doesn't have appeal to me.
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them