Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

for those that don't like their names being ranked too high..

as far as, say, the SSA Top 1000, what do you consider 'too popular' -- Top 50? Top 100? Top 500?

cma. furmom. music junkie. hippy. name nerd.

I don't really go by a number, I go more by how many times I hear a name in passing, at the park, among friends, etc etc, the popularity lists unfortunately do not work for every where! In some areas a name is super popular, in others it is moderately unheard of. That being said, 90% of my favorites are outside of the Top 100, many outside the Top 1000.

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Yes, it totally depends on the area in which you live. A name that is nationally popular does not necessarily mean that you will encounter many children with that name in your neighborhood. I do think people get too hung up regarding popularity. If you hear or see the name a lot in your district, it's probably on par or more popular than what the national stats suggest.

As far as the SSA stats are concerned the No# 1 name of Sophia was given to 22,158 girls in 2012. The top 100 name was Annabelle and it was only given to only 3,025. However, there could be more Annabelles running around where you are than Sophias.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick a name that is in the 50-100 range if no one around me had chosen it. As long as the name made a steady climb to that level over a number of years and didn't suddenly skyrocket to that level or just appear out of nowhere, I think it would be ok.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Yes, it totally depends on the area in which you live. A name that is nationally popular does not necessarily mean that you will encounter many children with that name in your neighborhood. I do think people get too hung up regarding popularity. If you hear or see the name a lot in your district, it's probably on par or more popular than what the national stats suggest.

As far as the SSA stats are concerned the No# 1 name of Sophia was given to 22,158 girls in 2012. The top 100 name was Annabelle and it was only given to only 3,025. However, there could be more Annabelles running around where you are than Sophias.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick a name that is in the 50-100 range if no one around me had chosen it. As long as the name made a steady climb to that level over a number of years and didn't suddenly skyrocket to that level or just appear out of nowhere, I think it would be ok.
    I think she said it perfectly. My favorite girl name, Zoe, with all its various spellings, would be ranked 7 on the SSA list. Still haven't met one.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

i'm like that with Lucy & Aria. now i have heard of a few new babies named Aria/Arya but not in my area. plus i know it's shot up in leaps & bounds in the last few years bc of respective TV shows. but i still love it Lucy on the other hand i just don't hear that often. a coworker MAY name her baby Luci if it's a girl, but other than that. all the rest are out of the Top 100. i hate to admit i get hung up on numbers :/

cma. furmom. music junkie. hippy. name nerd.