Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charis

7 24.14%
  • Carys

22 75.86%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which do you prefer: Charis v Carys

Both have such lovely meanings! We would use the same pronunciation for either: Pronunciations for carys
    Which looks better on paper? imo both will have pronunciation issues but that doesn't concern me (I have what some might consider a "difficult" name myself) Carys (Welsh) means love and Charis (Greek) means grace/kindness. The U.S. popularity stats are similar but Charis has been in use longer. Thanks!

I don't have a strong preference, but I think Carys would be easier to live with spelling and pronunciation-wise. I do like Charis' relationship with the word "charity" and its long history of use, but I would choose Carys for practical reasons. It's a great name in both spellings-you can't go wrong either way!

I like Cary's much better. My first thought from Charisma is Charon, the ferryman of the river Styx in the underworld in Greek mythology. Not a nice association.

Definitely Carys. I know you said you don't care about pronunciation issues, but that one seems pretty clear cut -- I'm not sure how else it would be pronounce. I would never think to pronounce Charis like Carys. I also have loved Carys for a while as a GP name (because it's sooo not my naming style, but something about it just give me goosebumps), and I have never heard of Charis, so I was very surprised to see that it has been in use longer. Interesting. My vote is for Carys, hands down. Gorgeous.

I'm usually not a fan of Ys in names, but Carys is a beautiful name.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014