Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red face Names that work in English and Spanish?

I have quite a long list of names that I like and have yet to run by DH. I was hoping to get an outside opinion before proceeding with suggesting them. I'd hate to burn him out so early into the process!

My family members all speak English and his family members mostly speak Spanish. Finding a happy medium is very important to us. We don't want anyone to feel like this child is separate from them culturally, if that makes sense.

What do you think of these names for a child growing up in a bilingual household in a Spanish speaking country? Do you have any suggestions of amazing names I might have missed?

Vera
    Viola
    Amadea
    Adelina
    Zenaida
    Matilda
    Madalena
    Madelina
    Cloelia "Cloe"
    Clotilda "Cloe"
    Adora
    Xaviera
    Zelda
    Sophia / Sofia
    Ona
    Fiona
    Prisca
    Priscila
    Iluminada - maybe Lumi for the English speaking side of the family?
    Nona
    Isabel
    Ophelia / Ofelia
    Noelia
    Fernanda
    Francisca
    Fidelia
    Fidelma
    Elsa
    Theodora / Teodora / Fedora
    Adelfa - means "oleander" (I think) not technically a name but I think it would work beautifully.
    Delphia / Delfia
    Delphina / Delfina
    Esmeralda / Esme
    Estella / Estela
    Stella / Stela
    Ferdinanda
    Alexia
    Clementina
    Adora
    Ina
    Iris
    Josepha / Josefa - honors my father Joseph and DH as well, his middle name is José.
    Luna
    Mila
    Paloma
    Sofronia / Sophornia
    Apolena / Apolonia
    Lourdes
    Mireia

Thanks so much. I'm really looking forward to your replies!

Hello, prmama!

I had the same issue as you when it came to naming my kids. My side speaks mostly Spanish and his just English, so we wanted something that would be "culturally inclusive". It was not easy! I was reading your list and you have some great choices that work beautifully in both languages and I also see a lot of very old fashioned, hardly in use names as well that made me think of my grandmothers and great aunts.

These are my favorites:

Vera
    Sophia / Sofia
    Isabel
    Luna
    Mila

I picked them because they roll off the tongue easily in both languages, without sounding forced

Do you speak Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by isolt View Post
    Hello, prmama!

I had the same issue as you when it came to naming my kids. My side speaks mostly Spanish and his just English, so we wanted something that would be "culturally inclusive". It was not easy! I was reading your list and you have some great choices that work beautifully in both languages and I also see a lot of very old fashioned, hardly in use names as well that made me think of my grandmothers and great aunts.

These are my favorites:

Vera
    Sophia / Sofia
    Isabel
    Luna
    Mila

I picked them because they roll off the tongue easily in both languages, without sounding forced

Do you speak Spanish?
    You bring up a very good point about the image and use of some of these names. They seem fresh and lovely to me but may actually be terribly dated grandmother's names within the Spanish speaking community. I'd hate for my child to be saddled with the equivalent of Eunice or Gaynor!

My Spanish is less than mediocre, honestly. I can squeak by in most incidences but in serious conversations with native speakers I fall behind quickly. I'm working on improving though! Currently DH has me convinced that I need to try speaking only Spanish when I can to help internalize it. It seems to be helping.

Thank you!

Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Basil - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Arlo - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

Quote Originally Posted by prmama View Post
    You bring up a very good point about the image and use of some of these names. They seem fresh and lovely to me but may actually be terribly dated grandmother's names within the Spanish speaking community. I'd hate for my child to be saddled with the equivalent of Eunice or Gaynor!

My Spanish is less than mediocre, honestly. I can squeak by in most incidences but in serious conversations with native speakers I fall behind quickly. I'm working on improving though! Currently DH has me convinced that I need to try speaking only Spanish when I can to help internalize it. It seems to be helping.

Thank you!
    OK, I see why you picked some of these <g>

I'd say these are definitely in the Eunice and Gaynor category:

Adelina
    Zenaida
    Matilda
    Cloelia "Cloe"
    Clotilda "Cloe"
    Xaviera
    Priscila
    Iluminada
    Nona
    Ophelia / Ofelia
    Fernanda
    Francisca
    Fidelia
    Fidelma
    Elsa
    Theodora / Teodora / Fedora
    Adelfa - means "oleander" (I think) not technically a name but I think it would work beautifully.
    Delphia / Delfia
    Delphina / Delfina
    Ferdinanda
    Clementina
    Adora
    Ina
    Iris
    Josepha / Josefa - honors my father Joseph and DH as well, his middle name is José.
    Sofronia / Sophornia
    Apolena / Apolonia

I wasn't sure if that's what you were going for, but these are definitely little old lady names

I'd also like to point out that Viola is only a letter away from the verb meaning to rape/break/violate.

I feel your pain, I went through this twice and it can be stressful, but once you find that name that works for everybody, it's an awesome feeling!