Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    So interesting! Namefan, you've got to write a Berry Juice blog about this!
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

None of this is at all surprising, we choose names, what we choose is loaded with meaning (consciously or unconsciously). Of course there will be broad trends among these groups.

I don't like hard names on boys/men...probably because I don't like 'hard' men. I don't want to bring up an ultra-masculine son (and with my genes I can be relatively confident that I couldn't) and will be naming accordingly. That I also abhor violence/war etc is probably no coincidence.

So there you are, just another pinko greenie from Australia ;-) who likes names like Florian and Lysander and Shashi. I think the 'hardest' name I like is Turing, and that's a tribute name for a man who famously amazing and brilliant...and persecuted for being gay.
    Last edited by taiki_bansei; August 5th, 2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: damn you autocorrect

Hmmm. The unisex-names-in-conservative-areas thing isn't that surprising to me. I don't associate unisex names with lack of sexism, just abundance of tradition, which the South certainly has. Makes sense to me. I feel like most people trying to "signal cultural tastes and erudition" would steer clear of unisex/surname names, unless they opted for a really fancy, aristocratic one like Kensington.

Also, to answer the original question, I always assume obscure biblical names were chosen by either very conservative parents or Jewish/Muslim ones.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Lee and Logan I both strongly associate with the right wing.

I recently taught a workshop at a very fancy private elementary school in Brooklyn--that is, the kids likely had highly educated and quite liberal parents--and I can confirm that unisex names were non-existent. Dashiell, Cole, Nathaniel, and Graeme for boys; Cecily, Ruby, Ella, and Charlotte for girls. In the Bronx, which is liberal but far less wealthy, the kids are much more likely to be named Jayden, Anton, Kayla, Imani, or Tazrian. I haven't encountered many stereotypical "ghetto" names in ten years working in different "ghetto" schools, and many of the names strike me as beautiful as well as idiosyncratic, but there are still strong markers of class and political leanings evident.