Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by balloonsforellie View Post
    So, I have to conclude by this data that I do not like liberal names. lol
    Did you read the first article?

"This leads to the second difference: the names they chose. Oliver and colleagues find that there were roughly two kinds of uncommon baby names: ones that are completely made up or just different spellings of common names (like “Jazzmyne” for Jasmine), and ones that are just esoteric. When racial minorities and the poor chose uncommon names, they were more likely to choose the former. When Democrats or liberals chose uncommon names, they were more likely to choose the latter."

What the first article didn't note, but which is relevant to the second, is that racial minorities and the poor tend to vote Democrat -- thus the results of the BabyCenter poll.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I found it really interesting that certain sounds were associated with political leanings, like Kurt being conservative and softer sounds trending liberal. A couple of people called into the show and gave their kids' names and Professor Oliver guessed their political leaning, and got it right every time. I have to admit if I had been the one guessing, I may not have been as accurate! But he was judging purely on the sound thing.

Of course, any attempt to predict one kind of behavior based on another just makes me want to run out and do the opposite, just to defy expectations.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

And yes, ethnic differences and educational differences add another factor to political differences. If you are looking at white college-educated liberals vs. white college-educated conservatives, you are going to see different baby naming patterns than if you compare white college-educated liberals with white high school dropout liberals with black college-educated liberals.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Here's a difference I've found when it comes to unisex names when comparing stats from "blue" and "red" states: It may surprise some, but unisex names - for both genders - tend to be more common in the more conservative areas (if you're interested I have a spreadsheet testing the theory several times). Those from areas like the U.S. South have often commented that they often encounter males with names that are more typically used on girls elsewhere in the country, and my tests have largely proved them right. Of all the U.S. regions the Northeast has been shown to be the most "sexist" in naming - there are fewer boys but plenty of girls with "crossover" names there (as well as more staid boy's classics that continue to rank high there but have dropped in other regions). States like California which are often considered to be the more sexually liberal ones come out pretty much neutral with regard to the aforementioned points.

I agree. Where I live, in south Louisiana, it's not unusual to run into a guy named Kelly, Blake, Kasey, or I even know an Aubrey. Dakota is another prevalent one.

Current loves:
    thomasina louise, percival hugh

. ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙  ✶  . ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙

♥  ❝Words have meaning and names have power.❞