Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names That Sound Liberal vs Conservative?

I guess this would mostly apply to word names. Are there names you -either with or without a particular reason- associate with liberalism or conservatism? I'm thinking of a subtle association, more along the lines of Liberty than Nixon/ Reagan.
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

With the statistically demonstrated differences between liberals and conservatives in education, intelligence, and knowledge of world events, I definitely tend to associate trendy names like Braden and Nevaeh with conservatives and classic names like Elizabeth and Nathaniel with liberals. I would also assume that literary names like Ophelia are given by liberals, while names that glorify violence (Remington, Gunner, Rekker, Maverick, Hunter) were bestowed by conservatives.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I was on a radio show -- I think it was an LA NPR station -- with the professor who did the widely-reported recent study on liberal vs. conservative names. He matched baby names to voting records in different areas and so there was a lot of quantitative data behind the parsing of names as liberal or conservative. Here's one story on the study: Republicans and Democrats can’t even agree on baby names

And here's a list of specific names and how often the parents who choose them are considered liberal: Circle of Moms
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Excellent links, Pam!

"Oliver and colleagues argue that liberals, consciously or unconsciously, signal cultural tastes and erudition when picking their child’s name."

Certainly true for this liberal. I like the idea that liberals choose "softer-sounding" names for both boys and girls -- also true of my picks, at least. It also makes sense that names associated with non-white populations would track liberal, since people of color are vastly more likely to vote blue.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

First Name// Gender// Name Frequency// Percentage Liberal
    Amani      Female    0.02% 100%
    Amari       Female    0.03% 100%
    Anaya    Female    0.01% 100%
    Aniya    Female    0.01% 100%
    Antoine    Male    0.01% 100%
    Ashanti    Female    0.01% 100%
    Ayana    Female    0.01% 100%
    Deandre    Male        0.01%    100%
    Deshawn    Male        0.01%    100%
    Diamond    Female    0.02%    100%
    Essence    Female    0.01%    100%
    Jamal    Male    0.01%    100%
    Janiya    Female 0.01%    100%
    Jaylon    Male    0.01%    100%
    Jermaine    Male    0.01%    100%
    Kamari    Male    0.01%    100%
    Khalil    Male    0.02%    100%
    Marquis    Male    0.02%    100%
    Marquise    Male    0.01%    100%
    Mekhi    Male    0.01%    100%
    Nasir    Male    0.02%    100%
    Omari    Male    0.01%    100%
    Reginald    Male    0.01%    100%
    Tyrell    Male    0.01%    100%

So, I have to conclude by this data that I do not like liberal names. lol

v Yes, I read it, but do you know how to take a slight jest? I thought the "lol" might indicate that I was only poking fun.
    Last edited by balloonsforellie; August 5th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.

Current loves:
    thomasina louise, percival hugh

. ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙  ✶  . ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙

♥  ❝Words have meaning and names have power.❞