Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Names That Sound Liberal vs Conservative?

I guess this would mostly apply to word names. Are there names you -either with or without a particular reason- associate with liberalism or conservatism? I'm thinking of a subtle association, more along the lines of Liberty than Nixon/ Reagan.
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

With the statistically demonstrated differences between liberals and conservatives in education, intelligence, and knowledge of world events, I definitely tend to associate trendy names like Braden and Nevaeh with conservatives and classic names like Elizabeth and Nathaniel with liberals. I would also assume that literary names like Ophelia are given by liberals, while names that glorify violence (Remington, Gunner, Rekker, Maverick, Hunter) were bestowed by conservatives.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    With the statistically demonstrated differences between liberals and conservatives in education, intelligence, and knowledge of world events, I definitely tend to associate trendy names like Braden and Nevaeh with conservatives and classic names like Elizabeth and Nathaniel with liberals. I would also assume that literary names like Ophelia are given by liberals, while names that glorify violence (Remington, Gunner, Rekker, Maverick, Hunter) were bestowed by conservatives.
    This made me laugh because the definition of conservative is "Holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation..." (as an adjective) and "A person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes..." (as a noun).

So, names like Nevaeh are absolutely not conservative. Names like Elizabeth and Nathaniel are very conservative.

The definition of liberal is "Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values," which doesn't make names like Nevaeh fall into that category, but it certainly would fit better there than in conservative.

Maybe a fake conservative? haha is there such a thing?

Not meaning to be rude at all, just pointing out the facts

I was on a radio show -- I think it was an LA NPR station -- with the professor who did the widely-reported recent study on liberal vs. conservative names. He matched baby names to voting records in different areas and so there was a lot of quantitative data behind the parsing of names as liberal or conservative. Here's one story on the study: Republicans and Democrats can’t even agree on baby names

And here's a list of specific names and how often the parents who choose them are considered liberal: Circle of Moms
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Quote Originally Posted by pam View Post
    I was on a radio show -- I think it was an LA NPR station -- with the professor who did the widely-reported recent study on liberal vs. conservative names. He matched baby names to voting records in different areas and so there was a lot of quantitative data behind the parsing of names as liberal or conservative. Here's one story on the study: Republicans and Democrats can’t even agree on baby names

And here's a list of specific names and how often the parents who choose them are considered liberal: Circle of Moms
    Great links! It certainly seems true too from these eyes. The side that has the huge majority of names I love is the liberal side and i'm liberal. However I come from a totally conservative family and many names from the conservative side are names in my family.

I'm slightly surprised but not too much really. I was thinking before though the violence names mentioned, Hunter, Gunner etc. make me cringe. I honestly can't stand those names. I'm sorry I just can't. And yes they (even before reading the articles. I was looking through names yesterday and had come across Hunter and Gunner) do make me think of conservatives.

I never would have thought of the connection before though.
    Just a 24 y/o writer in love with names.
    My favorites list is at http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/48927