Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A name for our first and only!

Hello everyone; I'm quite new here, and to my amazement and joy I'm expecting our first in early April--and since I'm 43, he or she will surely be our last as well. I'm looking for names that are magical but not too ornate (Araminta and the like are just too many syllables for me,) that wouldn't be wildly out of place if the kid was accepted at Hogwarts, and that are romantic but not unpronounceable. Name meaning is very important to me. Being named Sarah has left me with a lifelong horror of popular names, so certainly nothing that's in the top 200 or rising fast. My husband's family is Jewish and mine are WASPs, so in the interests of fairness the name should come from an outside culture: French, Greek, etc. (A family name I love, Ellery, was already rejected for being too waspy.)

Middle names will be two of the following: Anne, Avery, and my last name. Anne and Avery are both the names of late beloved relatives. My husband's last name is three syllables and starts with P.

Here's what I have so far for a girl:

Ondine (absolute favorite.)
    Morwenna
    Nephele
    Lenore
    Vesper (my husband likes this, but hates both Vespera and Vespertine--pity.)
    Marine
    Tosca (not that keen on the namesake, though.)
    Irina
    Helena
    Thalassa

For boys:

Tesla (My husband is pretty dead-set on this, though it was given to 100 girls last year and only 5 boys. No fewer than three couples we know have named daughters Tesla in the past several years; we run with a nerdy crowd.)
    Cadmus (my favorite)
    Lucian (though my husband thinks it's too feminine.)
    Cyrus
    Quentin (Quentin Compson is a tragic namesake, but since it means "fifth" it could also refer to Fiver, the visionary rabbit of Watership Down.)

Other ideas? Thanks in advance.

French
    Vivienne
    Aurelie/Aurelia (I think Aurelia would be easier to say in the u.s)
    Genevieve (this maybe too popular, its around 220-230's)
    Lucienne
    Clemence (although that may be hard to pronounce and you might have people say Clem-ence)
    Oriane/Oriana
    Odette
    Other suggestions:
    Elowen
    Iris
    Talullah
    Lenora
    Leona
    From your list my favorite is Lenore and Helena.
    Boys: Quentin and Lucian
    Hope this helped
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

Thanks rgp19!

Oriane and Elowen are lovely. Tallulah is quite trendy hereabouts (Brooklyn) though it is a very pretty name, and close friends just named their baby Iris. Some of the others (Aurelia) are a bit frilly to my taste, and I suspect it'll be hard to get my husband on board with more than two syllables; he hasn't explicitly ruled out three syllable names but tends to react negatively when I mention any. Four, I'm sure, would be a non-starter.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and soon-to-be here little blessing!

From your girl picks, I particularly love - Lenore, Irina, Ondine, and Helena.

From your boy picks, I particularly love - Cadmus and Cyrus (would love to meet a little Cyrus!)

Other Suggestions

Girls
    Helene - as opposed to Helena
    Since you like Ondine and it is listed as a Mermaid name on the lists here on nameberry have you considered, Miranda, Loralei/Lorelei, or Avalon?
    Melusine

Boys
    Caspian
    Lorcan
    Lachlan

Good luck! And congrats again!

Hello jtucker and thank you!

Avalon, I'm sorry to say, is ruined for me by its similarity to the inescapable Ava. Miranda is awesome and I love the reference, and Melusine has been on and off my list; I might put it back.

Caspian and Lorcan are great; Lorcan in particular is similar to Lucian, but possibly masculine enough for my husband to tolerate it. I'll run it by him.