Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    I posted a thread on this back in June It's always funny to me how Southerners are considered so backwards and slower to change but when it comes to gender bending boy names, we are far more open minded. Even on this site, these names are called sissy or too feminine and statements like 'he will be teased' come from posters from more "progressive" areas.
    This is definitely true, and you're right, it's a bizarre contradiction.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    With the statistically demonstrated differences between liberals and conservatives in education, intelligence, and knowledge of world events, I definitely tend to associate trendy names like Braden and Nevaeh with conservatives and classic names like Elizabeth and Nathaniel with liberals. I would also assume that literary names like Ophelia are given by liberals, while names that glorify violence (Remington, Gunner, Rekker, Maverick, Hunter) were bestowed by conservatives.
    This made me laugh because the definition of conservative is "Holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation..." (as an adjective) and "A person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes..." (as a noun).

So, names like Nevaeh are absolutely not conservative. Names like Elizabeth and Nathaniel are very conservative.

The definition of liberal is "Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values," which doesn't make names like Nevaeh fall into that category, but it certainly would fit better there than in conservative.

Maybe a fake conservative? haha is there such a thing?

Not meaning to be rude at all, just pointing out the facts

If this is true, everyone on Nameberry should probably be liberal. No offense. I consider myself an independent, and I think my names are sort of a mix of conservative and liberal styles. Like Eustace, for instance. It's both soft and hard at the same time. The "eus" at the beginning is quite liberal, but the hard "t" adds a bit of conservatism. The one thing I don't like about this idea though, is that it polarizes the two parties and reinforces a lot of bad political stereotypes. My family is full of die-hard Republicans, and their names range from Alayna to Roger. This may be true for the overall population, but I think there are plenty of exceptions.
    Previous account: elrock13