Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Scared that our name choices will become too popular!

My husband and I will be TTC within the year but have talked extensively about names. We've settled on a couple but our favorite is Eloise. I think it's just perfect and it fits us so well. I'm just a little worried about its ever-increasing popularity! I'm sure the first folks that named their kids Madison or Aiden didn't think that name would shoot up and become almost groan-inducing.

What do you guys think? Should a name's possible future popularity affect your choice?

Also, do you think Eloise will be super popular in a couple of years?

I think it depends on what you classify as too popular and where you live. For example here in Australia Eloise is already #81 and I think it will continue to rise in popularity quickly here. I think it has a high chance if reaching the top 20 here within the next 5 years. Comparatively in the US Eloise is currently ranked in the 360's. obviously not ranked at highly as in Australia but still on the rise in popularity.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Eloise's rise over the past 3 years has been meteoric, and I think it's likely that it will continue to climb. However, I think it's very unwise to knock a name you love because it may become "too popular" at some nebulous time in the future. You don't know what will happen to Eloise, and you don't know what will happen to any other name on your list. If Eloise is your #1, why knock it for a name that could experience a similar resurgence in just a few years? You'd end up using a name you like less that becomes equally popular. Eloise is a beautiful name with a lot of great qualities (easy spelling and pronunciation, appealing nickname options, interesting and appealing sound) and it seems silly to me to discount the name because other people also like it.

I think it will definitely get more popular, but I don't personally feel that it will be the next Madison. I love Eloise!

Thanks, guys! You all said exactly what my husband says! I'm such a worrywart. I would just be pretty sad if she had to be Eloise B. My name is Katie so I went through that a lot and still am since one of my very good friends is also Katie. Lifelong identity crisis!

Thanks for the advice! We're in the US so I'm hoping some other name comes and swoops the sassy, sweet name spot away from Elo