Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Minerva

27 43.55%
  • Theodora

35 56.45%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Noble (Wearable) Remaining Girls

We are, with thanks to Nameberry among other resources, down to two options for our girl.

There has been a lot of support for Minerva, which is amazing, but I'd love to see if this matches up to a poll. I am mindful that unusual names are often unusual because they aren't everyone's cup of tea, and am okay with that (I think), but I'd like to see how wide the love is for Min!

Theodora is a slightly 'safer' option, and I'm a little concerned it might grow even more so since Robbie Williams named his daughter Theodora (I'm in the UK).
    I do love it though- the balance, the majesty, the quirkiness I see in it.

Love the nicknames for both names, but I feel Minerva is more destined to be a 24/7 nickname name, and that I do not want!
    I love nicknames but I also want to have- specifically- a Theodora or a Minerva...not only a Dora and Minnie...
    Is Minerva destined to be forever shortened?

Btw- middle name for Theodora would be Mairi, but I'm not a fan of alliterated names so haven't decided on one for Minerva. Any suggestions would be great.

I chose Theodora because of your nn. Concerns. I think you would be more likely to have a Theodora be called Theodora because is my mind the nn. are a little less automatic...you could call her Thea, Theo, Dora, or even Edie...but no one would know that until you told them. with Minerva my first thought was "Minnie" of course....well and the books about the adorable chicken Minerva Louise. Chicken aside I do think Minerva Louise is an adorable combo. I also think people would be less likely to assign her a nn. If you introduced her by a double barrel sort of name like Minerva Louise, Minerva Jane, Minerva Mae, Minerva Adele...you get the idea. Then they would likely shorten her name to Minerva rather than Minnie. This was just my impression. I love the vintage feel of both names.

I love Theodora with or without a nickname. Minerva is ok but I would only call her Minnie (I prefer having a formal name even if you always use the nn).
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

Both would end up being nicknamed a lot, but if you refer to your child fairly consistently as either Minerva or Theodora, she'll get called both by others as well. If you ALWAYS introduce her as Minerva or Theodora, she won't be relegated to being just a nickname. Likely she'll go by a nickname with her friends/family, but introduce herself as her full name if she so chooses.

I always call people by their full name unless they ask me to do otherwise (Brittany is not automatically Brit, Jacob not Jake, Madison not Maddie...) and I tend to expect the same courtesy with my own name (Cecilia) which people have a tendency to shorten. I immediately correct anyone who calls me Cece.

The best way is to call her by her full name basically all the time. It's her name, she'll know it as such, be comfortable with it, and be a bit resistant to nicknames.

I'd actually say go with Minerva for this. Minerva really only has one nickname, Minnie, and it won't fit all little girls, and is cutesy enough to only be used by those close to her, if that makes sense. No one would assume they can call her Minnie, at least not once she hits thirteen or so.
    I’m just trying to behave as I think a friend should behave. Granted, I haven’t had much practice.

~Elphaba Thropp, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by oneilly View Post
    We are, with thanks to Nameberry among other resources, down to two options for our girl.

There has been a lot of support for Minerva, which is amazing, but I'd love to see if this matches up to a poll. I am mindful that unusual names are often unusual because they aren't everyone's cup of tea, and am okay with that (I think), but I'd like to see how wide the love is for Min!

Theodora is a slightly 'safer' option, and I'm a little concerned it might grow even more so since Robbie Williams named his daughter Theodora (I'm in the UK).
    I do love it though- the balance, the majesty, the quirkiness I see in it.

Love the nicknames for both names, but I feel Minerva is more destined to be a 24/7 nickname name, and that I do not want!
    I love nicknames but I also want to have- specifically- a Theodora or a Minerva...not only a Dora and Minnie...
    Is Minerva destined to be forever shortened?

Btw- middle name for Theodora would be Mairi, but I'm not a fan of alliterated names so haven't decided on one for Minerva. Any suggestions would be great.
    Hmm...
    I voted Theodora, I love this choice and even though the UK's beloved Robbie Williams named his daughter Theodora I really don't think this name will rise in popularity. I think Theodora will remain unpopular and quirky. I just don't think the average Brit will move away from Maisie, Amelia, and Imogen onto Theodora. It's just too out there. I honestly adore Theodora she's so majestic and elegant. In all honesty I prefer the Thea nickname, Dora isn't my thing but still out of the two I prefer Theodora, despite the nickname not being my thing. Yes Minerva is sweet, elegant, and pretty but she just doesn't have the same quality or passion as Theodora. If you have another daughter you could save Minerva for her. Theodora & Minerva sound like a lovely sibling pair.