Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sorceress there is a difference in language between Juliette which is french and juliet which is the english version. The name has evolved over many centuries as english takes most of its words from other older languages. Its like Matthew and matteo.
    As to the original poster I do not like made up names they have no substance in my opinion and generally look tacky I am in no way saying its not your choice I just don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress View Post
    How this makes invented names bad? Just because some names are 3000 year old means nothing to me. That may mean more to you, but it's mostly subjective value. We give things value that has no meaning, like lucky charms, astrology, new fancy clothes and shoes, Santa Claus...

Also:
    You can't say this for Jessica or Vanessa. And you basically told Juliet is kre8tive spelling of Juliette.
    I specifically said that there is nothing wrong with invented names. I said that invented names have no history, and history is valuable and interesting to me. If someone else wants to use a random assemblage of sounds they find appealing as their child's name, that is absolutely fine. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that I personally think it's nice to have history behind a name.

I didn't talk about Jessica and Vanessa because they are not the types of names I was describing. They have nothing to do with my point. And even those two names have histories- Jessica was invented by William Shakespeare, one of the greatest wordsmiths of all time, probably as a female form of the biblical Jesse. Vanessa was also invented by a poet and derives from the prefix "van" and the name "Esther." It is also the name of a genus of butterfly, so it is now a nature name.

To respond to your final point, Anglicization is much different from a kre8tive spelling. Words change between languages in predictable ways. For example, the "p" in Romance languages often changes to an "f" or "v" in Germanic languages. This can be seen in many words- the English "father" becomes "pere" in French and "padre" in Spanish and Italian, but retains the F in other Germanic languages like Swedish and Danish. Similarly, the -ette ending is typically French but often changes to -et in English.

I realize what you mean. There are a lot of legit names now that were once created. For example Jonathan Swift invented "Vanessa" and no one thinks twice about using it now. However by making up a name..be prepared for a lot of people having pronunciation and spelling issues. Don't be surprised if some people make faces when you say the name. So yes, there are a lot of names that were once invented, but these were mainly writers who writing a character in a STORY...not on a real life child having to face these issues. Ultimately, it's your decision. Your child might absolutely love having a truly unique name...or she might despise it. Who knows what will happen.

As for the actual names you have come up with...I'm sorry but I just don't personally like the sound of them. The only one that is passable to me is "Zurie".

I think made up names are fine. Not everyone is looking for some super important old meaning that most people don't care about anyway. If it sounds good then it can be a good name. Recently I have been liking the name Islet, which means a small island, but is not considered a "real name." But it has a pretty sound, is akin to Isla and Isley, and reminds me of eyelet (the pretty white fabric). What is a deal breaker to some is a great thing to others.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Aerie - Simone - Romy - Xanthe - Wylie
    Miles - Zefram - Eli - Ephram - Gannon

To me, names that confuse or trip up the reader or the listener are "bad" in a way. That's my personal opinion when it comes to the names that I would pick, I think that unusual yet familiar is the best, down-to-earth is a good thing. I don't have any hard judgements for people who use smoosh names or are naming from their culture/a culture that is different from the general one where they live. The names that you listed have the vibe of "maybe I'm just not cultured/intelligent enough to be familiar with these foreign sounding choices?" for me. Maybe they would sound silly to a French speaker? I have no idea. When it comes to the sound of the names that you listed I would suggest looking at French names.