Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    haha, I agree that authors usually do it better. Like Cora. And Olivia. And Fiona. They're fab. And now considered real names, but at one point, they were created. I think even names like Evolet, which was invented for a movie (I think?) and some of the names Lewis and Tolkien are pretty fab. Thorin? Galadriel? Shasta (although that might not be invented)? Very cool. And while I think Eveliet looks really cool (although it looks like a smoosh of Evelyn and Juliet, so I think you'd get a lot of ev-eh-lee-ett pronunciations, which I frankly like better), and I would probably even be happy to meet one, I probably wouldn't use an invented name myself. Mainly because I just want a name that has loads of history and ties to things that mean something to me. For example, I would have no problem with naming my daughter Olivia (because I love Shakespeare, and Twelfth Night is my favorite of his plays, and I love the undertones of peace and Christmas, with the possible elf meaning) or Cora (because it's a family name, and I liked The Last of the Mohicans, and it is a common nn for a lot of legitimate names--Cordelia, Cornelia, Coralie, etc.), but for me, Eveliet really has no ties to anything meaningful. And after I got the second most popular girls' name my year, plus one of the most filler MNs ever, and bam, that was my name, and there was no meaning to it at all. I mean, my parents love it, but I want something a little bit better for my children. But I would be happy if I met a little Eveliet, and Avaset isn't even bad, although it sounds like a smoosh of Ava and some beach in New England.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    Shakespeare might have come up with some good ones...it's more difficult for the rest of us. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of your creations, though you do seem to have a flair...maybe keep trying, but be careful!
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaura226 View Post
    Weren't all names "made up" at some point in time using words, parts of words and sounds?
    Not quite.

Most names evolved very slowly from words, often very ancient ones. The process may take hundreds, or even thousands, of years, changing with language itself. Take Juliet. It's an Anglicization of the French name Juliette, which itself is a nickname for Julie. Julie is the French form of the ancient Roman Julia, a feminization of the male Julius. Julius comes from a family name that originated either from the Greek Ioulus or the Roman god name Jupiter. Jupiter came from an ancient indo-european word. So in Juliet, a name that has been around for more than 400 years, there is nearly 3000 years of traceable history. To me, that is amazing. The idea that a name can be traced back hundreds of generations is so exciting to me- think of all the people who have spoken that name, all the history the name has seen! Some variant of Juliet was at some point spoken by Plato, Julius Caesar, Emperor Constantine, Charlemagne, Christopher Columbus, Queen Elizabeth I. A compilation of sounds you come up with sitting at home may sound nice, but there's no way it can have that type of history. To some people, that's not important, which is fine. There's nothing wrong with made-up names if that's your thing. But to me, there is something incredible about knowing a name's vast history, and it certainly feels more special than "my parents thought it sounded nice."

Eveliet is alright. Honestly I think names can grow on people. I don't think you have to be a famous author to come up with a good one. Sometimes--perhaps oftentimes--people don't give invented names a chance to grow on them unless they have the backing of a famous author or a celebrity baby to "give them permission" to open their minds to a new name idea. It's not impossible to invent a good name, just not easy. (An example I like is changing Maiwenn to Maywen...although that is really a spelling change not completely making something up)

I really have no problem with it when the components of the name have meaning, it is easy to pronounce and flows well.
    Last edited by iamamiam; August 4th, 2013 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    Not quite.

Most names evolved very slowly from words, often very ancient ones. The process may take hundreds, or even thousands, of years, changing with language itself. Take Juliet. It's an Anglicization of the French name Juliette, which itself is a nickname for Julie. Julie is the French form of the ancient Roman Julia, a feminization of the male Julius. Julius comes from a family name that originated either from the Greek Ioulus or the Roman god name Jupiter. Jupiter came from an ancient indo-european word. So in Juliet, a name that has been around for more than 400 years, there is nearly 3000 years of traceable history. To me, that is amazing. The idea that a name can be traced back hundreds of generations is so exciting to me- think of all the people who have spoken that name, all the history the name has seen! Some variant of Juliet was at some point spoken by Plato, Julius Caesar, Emperor Constantine, Charlemagne, Christopher Columbus, Queen Elizabeth I. A compilation of sounds you come up with sitting at home may sound nice, but there's no way it can have that type of history. To some people, that's not important, which is fine. There's nothing wrong with made-up names if that's your thing. But to me, there is something incredible about knowing a name's vast history, and it certainly feels more special than "my parents thought it sounded nice."

How this makes invented names bad? Just because some names are 3000 year old means nothing to me. That may mean more to you, but it's mostly subjective value. We give things value that has no meaning, like lucky charms, astrology, new fancy clothes and shoes, Santa Claus...

Also:
    You can't say this for Jessica or Vanessa. And you basically told Juliet is kre8tive spelling of Juliette.
    Last edited by sorceress; August 4th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.