Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Russian Names?

I considered useing Tasia as a full name. I understand its a nn for Anastasia.

As a Russian-speaker, of course I adore Russian names(as well as typically Ukrainian ones). I used to live in Moscow not years ago so I say for sure.
    Firstly, I would like to correct that some names already mentioned are nicknames. Sveta and Lana are short for Svetlana, Anya and Annoushka - Anna, Kostya - Konstantin, Motya - Matvey(b), Matilda(g) and Matryona(g), Katya - Ekaterina, Nadya - Nadezda(Hope), Olya - Olga, Zhenya - Evgenia(g) and Evgeniy(b), Sonja - Sofia, Lara - Larisa, Tasya - Taisia. I haven't heard of any Russians using nicknames as full names but I guess it happens.
    @Otter: Do you really know a Zorya? It's Russian for dawn and I haven't met any human with this name but a cow(no offense). Honestly, it's a pet name where I used to live and I would be surprised to know it is used for girls.
    Roksana isn't popular there, it feels more Tatar or Armenian, Isidor and Isidora were used long ago but not now. Kazimir is Slavic but much more Czech than Russian. Ruxandra and Alexandrina/Alexandria are unheard of in Moscow for sure but Alexandra nn Sascha or Alya is popular. Azamat is very rare and kind of Eastern, Jelena and Bilijana I hear for first time, seriously. And, by the way, Alyoscha is a usual nickname for Aleksey but not Aleksandr.
    My favorite type of Russian names are historic ones, from chronicles and tales.
    Boy favorites(sorry not in ABC order):
    Svetozar "Svetik"
    Yaroslav "Slava"
    Victor
    Adrian (very orthodox)
    Illarion
    Rodion
    Gleb
    Ilia
    Kirill
    Pafnutiy (again, orthodox)
    Girl favorites:
    Vasilisa/Vasilina "Vasya"(feminization of Vasiliy)
    Akulina
    Anfisa
    Arina
    Vitalina "Lina"
    Gertruda (Geroinya Truda(Labor Heroine))
    Dana
    Zlata
    Zabava
    Zoya
    Iraida
    Luybava
    Luybov
    Marfa
    Olesya
    Obviously, that's not a full list. Message me if you are interested, I will be more than happy to tell you even more plus nicknames, proper pronounciations and meanings.

Zinaida is my favorite Russian name for a girl. For a boy I adore Maksim.
    What about Sonya, Tatyana and Katya? They are nice too!
    I know a lot of Russians and people who have Russian names.
    Emon, 14
    Josephina/Finley/Lucie/Opal
    Ronan/Samson/Evan/Asher

Victoria; there's a Zorya on Husband's family tree! I love it because it's the name of the morning and evening star in Slavic mythology.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]