Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which nn for Isabelle?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bella

21 55.26%
  • Issy

17 44.74%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bella vs. Issy?

I don't quite understand how you can get the nickname Bella from Isabelle. If you want to nickname her Bella, name her Isabella. I think Bella is a strong enough name on its own - so you could name her Bella with the eventual nickname possibility of Belle. I think that Issy is an adorable name for an Isabelle, I prefer the spelling Izzy, as it looks more like a name and less like a word.

Quote Originally Posted by skateblinder View Post
    I don't quite understand how you can get the nickname Bella from Isabelle. If you want to nickname her Bella, name her Isabella. I think Bella is a strong enough name on its own - so you could name her Bella with the eventual nickname possibility of Belle. I think that Issy is an adorable name for an Isabelle, I prefer the spelling Izzy, as it looks more like a name and less like a word.
    IMO, Isabelle nn Bella's not that big of a stretch. It's about as much of a stretch as Evie is for Evelyn or Evangeline, or Lulu is for Louisa. Does the nn come directly from the full name, letter for letter exactly the same? No, of course not. But there's enough in the nn related to the full name that it's obvious that they're connected. While I appreciate the thought, alternatives for Isabelle aren't under consideration. I've been set on it for years, and while I like Isabella and even just Bella (although I would never use it just on its own--it does seem way too cutesy and childish to me for an adult), they pale in comparison to Isabelle for me.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Grace + Eleni
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Caspar + Grant + Rory

Bella, or better yet, Belle.

I still don't quite understand how you're pronouncing Issy, as when I say it, it sounds nothing like Izzy.

The idea of Issy is cute, but when I say it, it sounds like I'm hissing. I don't know why. Other 'ss' names, like Missy, for example, don't sound quite as lispy on my tongue.

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey

I love the name Isabelle but spelt Isobel. I like the nickname Bella more then Issy because I think of Issy as a boys name because I know a male Issy.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

Izzy would be my first choice. I like it a lot. It's spunky and fiery.

I love both Isabel and Isidora, and much prefer Izzy to Dora and prefer it to Belle/Bella too though not by as much as I dislike Dora.

I do know a number of male Izzys though - short for Isaac/Isaiah/Isidore or whatever. Doesn't really bother me - an Isabel called Izzy doesn't strike me as more awkward than a Christina called Chris or a Katherine called Kit or Georgia called Georgie - in fact Isabel, Christina, Katherine, and Georgia all strike me as fairly similar classic girls' names.