Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which nn for Isabelle?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bella

21 55.26%
  • Issy

17 44.74%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bella vs. Issy?

Bella vs. Issy?

Which appeals to you more?

Isabelle has been, is, and probably will remain forever my favorite girls' name, and I had been fairly set (for years!) on Bella as a nn. However, while on holiday with my family, I read a lovely book about an Isadora nn Issy, and I've fallen for the nn quite hard. At this point, I will probably keep both as options for a future Isabelle I may have, until one sticks, but I'm just curious which appeals to more Berries (popularity aside!). The spunky Issy, or the lush, feminine, and adorable Bella? I can see Bella maturing into Belle or just Isabelle as she ages, while I'm sure if she were an Issy, she'd be Issy and Isabelle fairly consistently throughout her whole life. Anyway, just curious where the Berries stand.

Izzy would be cute, but Issy sounds like sissy, hissy, fussy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    Izzy would be cute, but Issy sounds like sissy, hissy, fussy, etc.
    If you're not fond of the spelling, just assume it's Izzy. I find Issy to be softer while still spunky, and I pronounce it the same. I had that problem with it when I first started reading the book, but I almost find Izzy too harsh (and too masculine, now, thanks to that ridiculous act on AGT--Aaralyn and Izzy? I think?). Issy is equally sweet and spunky for me. But if it helps, think Issy = Izzy. Besides, while I'm not opposed to changing a spelling for the nn (like Kate as a nn for Catherine), I like the subtle tie between Isabelle and Issy. It shares more of the same personality, to me, as opposed to Izzy and Isabelle. Izzy seems more flashy to me, I suppose.

My name is Isabelle, and my nn's are Isa, Izzy, Issy & Belle.
    Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Basil - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Arlo - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

I can't stand Bella. Belle or Izzie/Izzy or even Zibby would be fine to me (I particularly like Izzie) but I just can't stand Bella. Maybe it's the Twilight association, but I never really liked it, even though I love Isabelle too (the Isobel spelling has always been my favorite).

I can't help but wonder if you had spelled it Izzy/Izzie instead of Issy if you would have gotten more votes for that than Bella. I know that you would pronounce them the same, but at first glance, I think most people would pronounce it like 'hissy' and you may be looking at a lot of misspelled birthday cards when Issy goes to school.