Names Searched Right Now:
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Uncle Remus? My fave books as a child (and now)! That rabbit and the turtle...Google! Google! Google!
    P.S. By the way, don't get scared but keep in mind I am a fan of children books as well as other odd stuff. I nearly went to sleep(and I had a crazy night) but I couldn't go past Uncle Remus. Gonna punish myself for not remembering earlier. So bye for now, have fun(if I don't log out immediately, I will never do it).
    Last edited by mclevine; August 5th, 2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Very very smart typos

I will google! CrazyV should definitely be your username. But you can't change it now... I'm taking your advise, making a list with nicknames and stuff. Doodling a lot, maybe the little drawings will help me out...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Calliope
    Delilah
    Guinevere
    I love these 3!!! As long Calliope goes by Callie.

Out of the updated list, these are my four picks:

Circe (it's brief, but a pleasing contrast)
    Olympia (since baby will be born during the Winter Olympics, and it sounds so strong)
    Guinevere (if you want a pair of sexy women)
    Vashti (if you want a pair of sassy women)

Honorable mention goes to Isolde, which I get what you're after with the meaning, but it didn't make the top cut because it seems a little bit tragic of a namesake.

I think Cleopatra should definitely go because I feel like Aphrodite and Cleopatra together are just "trying too hard" and wayyyyyy too theme-y.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Gwen; please tell me about Aravis and Cassilda, I see them there shining up at me from your signature and I'm intrigued. Aravis is from Narnia? Tell me more tell me more...
    Oh yay, people read my signature!

Yep, Aravis is from my favorite Chronicle of Narnia, The Horse and His Boy (which I believe is #5 chronologically?) Unfortunately, it's soooooo racist. Or religion-ist. There's lots of not-so-subtle bashing of Islam and Middle Eastern culture, so I feel guilty for loving it. But I love it for the plot and the main characters. It's always stuck out to me among the other Narnias; it doesn't take place in Narnia, and I think the story is just stronger. Aravis is the female lead--a princess/duchess thing from the fantasy Middle Eastern country whose talking horse helps her escape an arranged marriage. She's such a BAMF, and she drives a lot of the plot instead of just passively being love interest-y, which I like. People have pointed out that the name sounds like "avarice," so that and the racism association put it into GP territory for me, but it's on my middle-only list because of the pretty and the feminism.

Cassilda I first heard in the bizarre 1890s short story collection The King in Yellow, by Robert W. Chambers. She isn't actually a character in any of the stories, she's a character in the titular play-within-the-short-stories, which in the book drives people insane if they read the second act. Barely any of the play is in the book, so Cassilda doesn't do much. The book is utterly crazy, Google it next time you're bored. I'm not sure whether the name has a history separate from the book or if it's a literary invention; I just really like it. It has the same vibe as Belphoebe and Amoret to me: whimsical, elegant and romantic with pedantic undertones.

ETA: Did more research, and Casilda-with-one-S is a Catholic saint. Behindthename says it may come from the Latin "casa."
    Last edited by geeknamezyo; August 5th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr